Thursday, January 15, 2015

Chapter 10 - Mindset of the Ex-smoker

          Quitting smoking is not just a matter of abstinence.  When we first take on this battle against the addiction, it is hard to comprehend the monumental life changes that will occur as our quit progresses.  It’s only natural that a whole new lifestyle emerges when we eliminate something as overpowering and controlling as smoking.  Our mental outlook on life is a large part of this change.  It’s definitely not something that happens all at once, but it can start to develop as early as day one.  Acknowledging the addiction for the illness it is and for the power it has over us is often the first step toward successful recovery.
            Time is something that works in our favor when it comes to developing the mental strength needed to control our addiction.  Every smoke-free day that we add to the quit reinforces our belief that we truly can achieve freedom from smoking. Eventually we develop a solid mindset that further serves to strengthen our resolve and helps us to maintain a smoke-free life.




Good morning!
Posted by Mark on February 13 at 07:07:02
Well, another day, day five for me. I am feeling good today, as I was last night as well.  I learned some interesting things on here yesterday, and because of them I’m looking at this quitting thing a little differently. I will spend more time on attitude changes, like looking at more of the good and not focusing on the bad. I’ll be looking for reasons to smile. There are many things that I cannot change, and I will try not to dwell on those, like cravings. But there are many things I can change and those are the things I plan to focus on. 
I know in my heart that smoking is not an option. Therefore I must deal with the things that will arise because of my quit, work on those that can be changed, and let go of the ones that can’t.  Quitting smoking is a great thing, and that alone gives me much good to look forward to, but there are also many daily joys that I can dwell on to keep my spirits up.  It's really not that complicated.
Wishing you all a great day…
Take care,
Mark
My hands forget
Posted by David on August 21 at 18:51:36
I don't know how many times today I reflexively reached for a cigarette and then felt that letdown and sense of chagrin that I can't smoke. I really need a substitute. The Smarties, Pixie Sticks and other candies aren't cutting it. They don't calm me down.  I wish there was a calming but non-intoxicating drink, too, but I can't think of one. So I still sip coffee out of habit, thinking of it as a reward or something to anticipate. I never liked teas.  Pop (soda) is good but I wish there were a brand with a little dose of Valium or, hell I don't know, opium in it.
Save the lungs! That's all I care about now.  I'm just grouchy and I know I can't smoke. I'm really stuck as a quitter because usually I'm so happy about it and I know one smoke will just strengthen the cravings.  Oh, well. Checking in here is all. My best to you all… I know it's all worth it, but sometimes...
David
Quit August 8

Posted by JW on August 22 at 09:04:22
In reply to: My hands forget Posted by David on August 21 at 18:51:36
I don't know if you will stay smoke-free from now on (success rate is rather small, I am sorry to say, but I beat the odds so far - after 24+ years of 2 packs or so a day...) but I am convinced that you are looking in the right place for the answer! It isn't in your checkbook, or your medical future or your rational brain - it is in your heart and soul! That is the place to get resolve that lasts. Here, people call that "really wanting to quit". I call it learning how to enjoy this journey we call life, again. Life is wonderful. That is fact. Now, the question is whether we allow ourselves to experience it or whether we want to continue to fog it up with smoke...
I have seen a lot of people over the past seven months on here looking for the cure - things like "If I take Zyban and a 7mg patch, can I chew 2mg gum twice a day except on Wednesdays when I chew three pieces, and will all my cravings go away… Yada yada yada...?" That is looking for a medical cure! The funny thing is that they already had that - it was called nicotine in a free-based state - also known as smoking - it makes the cravings go away! Smoking to stop smoking, as John SJ calls it! Only an addict can convince himself such a thing is possible. I used to think it was possible... Yikes!
I have also seen a lot of people asking for ways to cope with the cravings... you know - cinnamon sticks, gum, etc., etc. Then three months later they go back to smoking. Why? Because they didn't look in the right place! They were looking for physical comfort instead of the answers that are in the soul – the ones that are as individual as each of us!
Those things mentioned above help at the beginning. I am a proponent of aides for smoking cessation at first. They cut the edge off the withdrawals and can help keep depression from setting in (major cause of relapse!). But they are aides - not cures. They do give you time to learn a system by which you can stay smoke free from now on. That system must allow for a relearning of how wonderful life really is… Sadness, happiness, fear, serenity, and every other feeling makes it wonderful! We understood that as children, and forgot it as adults, as we wove our way through the years. Smoking helped to mask things – we know that much. Now we have to learn to experience those things again! It is great to be an ex-smoker. It is great to be alive - even when we experience sadness or other things not joyful.
So, keep looking in those places in your heart and soul for the answers. I cannot express how much better my life is already since I quit smoking - not just smelling things, and not coughing, and the other physical things, but my psyche - I feel as though I have regained the power to control my life again.
God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference…
That is POWER!
Smile. Life is Wonderful.
JW

********

Michael – Question, please
Posted by Lea on January 28 at 08:01:49
I saw a post below somewhere, where you said you had quit smoking once before for seven months? I am curious, if you don't mind my asking, what caused you to go back to smoking after seven months? How long did you smoke before this last quit? Just curious, since I still feel relapse everywhere in my life! Thanks for answering.

Letting your guard down
Posted by Michael on January 28 at 08:26:24
In reply to: Michael – Question, please Posted by Lea on January 28 at 08:01:49
Yup, I quit once before for seven months with self-hypnosis, which is a relaxation and focusing technique - not the quack-like-a-duck kind. J After a few months of daily self-hypnosis, I got comfortable and confident that I was no longer addicted. Around the seven-month mark I was driving along in my truck and found myself pulling into a deli to buy a pack. No stress, no crisis that I'm aware of - I just did it. From that day on I continued to smoke a pack a day for another five years.
I've since come to believe in the philosophy that I will always be an addict. It's just that now, on a daily basis, I choose to NOT feed my addiction. That's the primary reason you still find me on this Board, because I cannot let my guard down again if I am to remain in control of my addiction.
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

Posted by Nancy on January 28 at 14:16:10
In reply to: Letting your guard down Posted by Michael on January 28 at 08:26:24
Even though I have been quit for over a year and I honestly can't remember the last time I had a craving, I know that I am only one puff away from being a pack a day+ smoker.  Even though smoking is repulsive to me now and I have absolutely no desire to smoke, I know that if for some reason I were to have only a couple puffs I wouldn't be able to stop at just that.  I believe that acceptance of this fact is essential in order to succeed in controlling a smoking addiction.
Nancy
One year, two months, one week, three days, 2 hours, 17 minutes and 57 seconds. 16021 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,482.03. Life saved: 7 weeks, 6 days, 15 hours, 5 minutes.

********

Hello there...I've come to a conclusion about being an addict! And I am scared!
Posted by Jay~ on January 20 at 08:02:36
Good morning,
I have said this many times before - but not until last night did I ever really REALIZE the basic truth of what I am about to say and admit! I am an ADDICT!!! It has been almost three weeks since I quit, and last night at work all I wanted to do was buy a pack of cigarettes - and almost did because I am getting sick of feeling this way! But worry not as I came to that very conclusion that I am an addict and will probably always have a craving here and there for a cigarette and so I didn’t buy any. And what would it hurt if I just decided to go and start again??? I would just fall into the same pattern as before and be right back at square one!
What is the sense in doing that when I have worked so hard and fought like hell to be smoke-free! I don't want to die younger than I have to just because I have some stupid problem with being addicted to things easily, as my addictive personality tries to control my thinking pattern... And if I had a question to ask, it would be, "Do I have any control over my addictive personality way of thinking?"  - Because lately I have been clinging on to other things and things that I should not be doing. I notice that I take codeine a lot more then I should, and Gravol to help me sleep a lot more then I should. I do not want any other addictions to any other dangerous chemicals, so what do I do?
I feel that I am stuck in this world of addiction where there is no freedom! I once almost became an alcoholic, but when I saw what was happening, I stopped drinking, but lately all I want to do is drink my brains away... I am sorry if it sounds like I am complaining, but after the thoughts that went through my head last night, I am now worried about my future. I DO NOT WANT TO BE AN ADDICT ANYMORE!!! Is there anyone who knows anything about all this??? If so, please help!
Jason
2weeks 5days 22:52 smoke-free, 278 cigs not smoked, $61.58 saved, 23:10 life saved

Jason
Posted by Michael on January 20 at 09:25:09
In reply to: Hello there...I've come to a conclusion about being an addict! And I am scared! Posted by Jay~ on January 20 at 08:02:36
Hi Jason,
CONGRATULATIONS!  As of last night, you are no longer in denial about your addiction.  You now see smoking for what it really is, an addiction.  You have also come to realize that you have an addictive personality.  What happened last night Jason was a major step toward recovery.
You asked for information about addictive personalities.  Let me tell you a little story.  About 14 years ago my older sister asked me over one day because she had something to tell me.  She proceeded to tell me that she had a drinking problem and wanted help.  Her husband and I got her into rehab, and as part of the treatment, family members were asked to attend lectures and workshops on alcoholism.  During one of the lectures, the speaker flipped open a chart that described the first second and third children of alcoholic families.  In an instant, my mouth pretty much dropped to the floor, because there I was on that chart, third child, described to a tee by a total stranger.  That got ME scared - like you wouldn’t believe - and I then attended anything and everything these folks were offering.
What I learned is that many people are genetically prone to addiction.  If there is a history of addiction or compulsive behavior in your family, then there’s a good chance that you’ll end up feeding some sort of addiction as well.  The actual type of addiction is not of importance, it all depends on what we are exposed to during our lives.  In other words, the child of an alcoholic may become an alcoholic, too, but can just as easily become addicted to gambling, smoking or narcotics.
Since that day in the rehab center I’ve learned a lot about addiction, but the most important thing to remember when it comes to the genetics is that we are PRONE to addiction.  It doesn’t mean we have to feed one.  What it does mean is that we must remain on guard and be vigilant throughout our lives so we are not brought down by a genetic trait we were born with.  It sucks having an addictive personality, Jason, but it’s who we are.  Realizing it and facing it head-on is what can make our lives enjoyable and functional.
You’re gonna make it Jason, you’ve discovered the truth.
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!


That's very interesting Michael....
Posted by Brooke on January 20 at 20:42:27
In reply to: Jason…  Posted by Michael on January 20 at 09:25:09
I have always known I have an addictive personality and that I can get addicted to anything from food to cigs to drawing... My father was an alcoholic and some of his family was also... That explains why my boyfriend who doesn’t have an addictive family history can have an odd cigarette once a month or so and never feels addicted.  I guess you’re right.  We addictive personalities just have to stand on guard and recognize ourselves for what we are.
Thanks again for the insight...
Brooke

********

I know that I am an addict
Posted by Joyce on July 10 at 12:41:07
            I just had to say this to everyone… I think we all have to accept this, acknowledge it and believe it… I have smoked for 25 years, I have blown quits before because I had the just one mentality... I have blown quits before because I got it stuck in my head that life wouldn't be any fun anymore if I didn't smoke... I have blown quits before because I had a fight with my Sweetie...
To make it simple, I know now that I am a nicotine addict. I know that one puff will lead me to a pack/carton/case. I also realize that all those just ones I did 25 times a day kept me in the midst of my addiction, controlling me… I know, too, that I have the power to control it, yes, and it took the good fight to get me where I am right now. It took everything I have in me, and when I had no more fight, Blairsville (support group) pulled me through.
I know that I can't have 'just one'… I know in the beginning of my quit, it helped me a lot to accept that I would have the cravings, and I now know that smoking does not stop the cravings, it only creates more. I am a nicotine addict, but I'm also a proud addict, because I have gained the knowledge during this quit to know that it is all within my control. I will always be an addict, but I now control my addiction and my destiny.
WE'RE WINNING, BLAIRSVILLE, AND I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THAT… from one minute to the next… We are in control now... AND WE'LL KEEP FIGHTING TOGETHER FOR THIS BLESSED FREEDOM!

FOR THE 'HEALTH' OF IT - KEEPIN' THE QUIT AND KEEPIN' THE FAITH!
Hugs, Joyce
Six months+

*******


DAY TWO!! A question for new quitters.
Posted by Simone on February 02 at 21:56:48
What's helping you maintain? This is really difficult - I've never tried to quit before (smoked for eight years) - and I'm fighting the fidgets as hard as I can. (Not to mention the screaming moodswings, the irritability and frustration, energy drain, etc.) Any ideas?  Something that's helping me (I'm only on day two, mind you) is rewarding myself (positive reinforcement!) for my own perseverance - lots of long showers, gold star-stickers on the calendar, going to the movies a lot (you can't smoke inside - it's good), etc. And most importantly, I'm keeping my routine. I'm accustomed to going outside periodically while at work and having a smoke, so I do the same thing now - I just DO NOT go near the smoking area.  I walk around for a minute with a non-smoking friend.  I'm trying to find low-fat snacking foods.  Breadsticks and rice cakes are great for crumbling into small little bits and nibbling on slowly to keep myself busy. I'm chewing three packs of gum a day.  I love the gum, because it satisfies the ritual of opening a pack, fumbling with the wrapper and taking out a small object.
For a long time I allowed myself to get sentimental about smoking.  Hell, that's why I haven't quit until now. I allowed myself to sustain an image (media-influenced) of the smoker: charming, passionate, probably artistic or philosophical, brave, witty, rebellious, and best of all, a person who could party like it's 1999. Cocktails & Camels; Martinis & Marlboros; Parties & Pall-Malls.
I still find it's easy to get nostalgic about smoking, but I think the fond memories are about carelessness, not carefree-ness. We MUST learn to care for ourselves. We've all seen the naked ladies on the Camel packs, haven't we? We all know the deadly, deadly facts about smoking. We all know it when we smell terrible - when our teeth start going yellow; when our prescription for inhalers goes from occasional to frequent refill status. But we've got a mind suck going on…  Somehow all this stuff doesn't add up - the addiction overrides logic.
The beauty comes when one realizes that it's TIME TO STOP - that one CAN stop and that it's NOT TOO LATE to change. A lot of people aren't as lucky as we are.  Not that we all aren't having a bitch of a time with knocking this shit. You are - I am - they are… It bites, but I hear cancer is worse. SO KEEP ON QUITTING, EVERYONE!! This is one of the most beautiful decisions any of us will ever make!!
Simone
P.S. For those of you who find that gum helps, but hate the scuzzy yuck left on your teeth by sugared gum, try any sugarless brand. No scuzz.

Posted by Benjamin on February 02 at 23:09:38
In reply to: DAY TWO!! A question for new quitters. Posted by Simone on February 02 at 21:56:48
Simone, you nailed it exactly.  I quit nine days ago, cold turkey, and am past 90% of the physical stuff now (that gets better pretty quickly, really), but I still really struggle with the mental aspect, and it's all due to exactly the points you made.
I smoked for seven years. I started at 17 (am 25 now). When I was in high school, there were only two groups that smoked - the really dumb kids and the really smart ones. Those of us who had IQs higher than our weight (hey, at 17 it was true!) got into smoking because we loved the cool aspect of it. We were urbane, sophisticated kids. We figured nothing was going to kill us - for a while anyway - so why not smoke? Plus, it gives one a cheap buzz, at least at first.
Later in life, I still felt the same pull. A philosophy major in college, I found that good coffee and good cigarettes make fine companions to late-night conversations. I got stuck in the trap of self-induced image building.
Although the former vastly outnumber the latter, my conception of smokers was not the wheezing, overweight women toting oxygen tanks behind them at the grocery store; it was the suave sophisticate holding court at one end of the bar with a pack of Nat Shermans close at hand.
So like I said, nine days in, I'm past the physical stuff. My heart still does a flip-flop when my brain sneaks it a "Hey buddy, how 'bout a smoke?" and occasionally my body finds a little pocket of nicotine and says "HEY, REMEMBER THIS?" but overall, I'm physically doing OK.
Mentally, it's another story. I did, and do, want to quit, but I don't know if I will *ever* truly want to be an ex-smoker. For a few days after quitting I tried to convince myself that it was disgusting, and that I'd never want to do it again. No luck. I am still flirting with it. Yes, I have quit, but I have a really tough time convincing myself that I don't want to at least attempt to be a social smoker at some point in the future. Maybe I'll just hold on to that dream for now and it will wear off with time, but it does have some pull.
The standard argument is that my mental impressions of smoking can entirely be attributed to the cigarette manufacturers’ advertising and product placement. Maybe, maybe not. There is something innately appealing about holding fire in one's hand.  Even if it is all media manipulation, I've got to admit they've gotten to me. My sub-conscience, frankly, buys it completely. 
So what's a guy - who knows they've gotten to him - to do? Do I deprive myself of another smoke my whole life? Why? I don't deprive myself of red meat or alcohol, and I know those are bad (and one is even addictive) - or do I wait until I am past the worst and then decide to play with fire again? Can I justify risking re-addiction in order to take the occasional puff and avoid the personally annoying stigma of being an ex- anything?
Or perhaps, folks, are these just the slightly drunk ramblings of a nicotine deprived man who will now get some sleep and feel much better after a cup of coffee in the morning?  At any rate, I enjoyed your post, Simone, tremendously. You've identified exactly my current crisis. Physically fine, kind of bitter mentally, but too smart to quit the quit.  I'm in at nine days, one hour and some change. Deal.
Benjamin

********


Dedicated to Smokers…
Posted by D.J. on April 2 at 19:26:17
I dedicate my two-month ramble to smokers. I've been thinking about them a lot lately. After all, I am one - in remission.  I can remember what it felt like to be a smoker around friends who had quit. It was always the strangest mixture of envy, admiration, and personal despair. I swear to you all - I would actually be waiting around for them to fail - felt a crummy-kind-of-smug when they did. That way, I could say to myself - see? It's too hard to do. So don't bother. I used to be so ashamed of the thoughts I would have as a smoker that fell along these lines. It wasn't until I got to Blairsville that I began to understand why I would think such inhumane things. I'm an addict, that's why.
Even when I knew I wanted to quit, it was too hard to admit to myself and others that I couldn't seem to find the strength to sustain it. Someone quitting around me was just another reminder of my own failings. It actually hurt. When I lost a party pal some years ago because she couldn't do the pack and the bottle at our favorite bistro with me anymore, I was crushed. When she picked it back up again a month later, I was elated. I am so ashamed that I had those feelings, but I understand better now why I had them - I'm an addict.
I am remembering these complex emotions from smoking so that I don't lose touch with something I really don't want to lose touch with. I really don't want to treat smokers with inhumanity like this anymore - from either side of this thing. I really don't want to look at them with disgust, resting on some fragile notion that I am "stronger" than they are now. I don't want to watch them smoke with a holier-than-thou attitude because I don't, or watch them with smug knowledge when they are struggling in situations where they can't smoke - I have felt that discomfort all too often myself. I am not going to wag my finger at them because when non-smokers did that to me, I wanted to bite it off.  I am not going to thumb my nose up in disgust because they "stink...." or treat them as pariahs or losers or wayward or weak. I think forgetting the humanity we also needed when we smoked is sort of like Junkie Thinking: The Sequel.
If I do anything, I'd rather hug them. Go right into the space of their cigarette stench and hug them, commiserate - "Please don't hate yourself for this. It's hard. Hate won't help." I would want to put my arms around them the way someone might have put their arms around me and helped me to cry. Somehow I think that understanding and sympathy would have let some light in upon my addiction, the first crack in the fortress of my defensiveness.
“Please don't tell me about people who die from this - I've already lost more than my share.” You tell me that, and it sounds like I wouldn't even quit for the family members I loved and lost - that cigarettes were more important than they were. Don't tell me this - I'll hate myself for it. Please don't remind me about the money I've spent when there were other more important needs. It just makes me feel stupid and guilty. Please don't scare me, rattle me, shame me, threaten me, bribe me, or ostracize me... please ...come into this stinking space, my clothes, my hair, and put your arms around me anyway. Please tell me not to hate myself. Remind me that it's hard. Help me open my own heart to myself with your compassion, because I've forgotten how to do it myself. Help me find my own humanity, held captive by this addiction...
D.J.
2 months
Lest I forget...

********

Getting nowhere fast
Posted by Steve on October 3 at 02:08:11
Hi Guys,
Well, I was at this Board a couple of months ago and managed an entire smokeless week - my first in about eight years. Then for some reason I took just one cig and I think you know the rest of the story.  So here I am back at square one.
I'm so desperate to get this horrible addiction out of my life. Really, over the last few years I feel like I've been constantly fighting this battle and it's getting me nowhere.  Anyway, I know quitting is something that I have to do but it just seems to take up so much time and energy.
Well, I'm going to go and smoke my last one ever right now, and I could really do with all your support over the next few days, weeks, whatever.
Take care and speak soon,
Steve

Posted by Michael on October 3 at 08:39:22
In reply to: Getting nowhere fast Posted by Steve on October 3 at 02:08:11
Hi Steve,
You're absolutely right. Quitting smoking takes an awful lot of time and energy. If you look at it realistically though, so does the act of smoking. A person who smokes a pack a day spends roughly 18 to 20% of their waking hours involved in smoking. If the smoker does 2 packs/day, that figure goes up to approximately 35%.
Smoking is an all-consuming addiction time-wise. It just follows that the battle against the addiction consume at least the same amount of time and energy, if not more. This, however, must not be viewed as a bad thing or even a chore, because the goal is one of such importance that it doesn't really matter how much time and effort needs to be spent to achieve it.
The reality is that quitting is hard, Steve, but guess what?  It really IS worth it.
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********

I really, really hate this!
Posted by Brenda J on January 2 at 09:21:55
Yeah…  Is there a reason why nicotine is so much more addictive than other things?  What is the answer Michael?  (Hope you have one)
Hugs, Brenda

Posted by Michael on January 2 at 21:02:40
In reply to: I really, really hate this! Posted by Brenda J on January 2 at 09:21:55
Hi Brenda,
Caught your question from this morning... I think cigarettes only seem more addictive than the other compulsions, one, because they're relatively cheap, and two, because of social acceptance. Well, until recently anyway... J  Think about it, right up until 1999 you could get yourself 20 nicotine fixes for just a couple of dollars.  Not many other addictions are that cheap.
As far as social acceptance, people have been frowning on alcoholism, drug use and gambling far longer than they have cigarette smoking. It's the ease and the availability that makes smoking so attractive to the addict mind. I’m just hoping all the new legislation and taxes will help to curb that.
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

*******



I can never smoke again…
Posted by D.J. on February 28 at 22:16:48
I say this to myself, like I'm telling someone about a long, involved accident I had - and this happened and that happened - and it's a miracle that I got away with my life, but I'm now physically/emotionally impaired, my hand got smashed or something, or I sustained brain damage and cannot work disposable lighters anymore, so, yes, I'm alive, it's okay, what a miracle, but "I can never smoke again."
"I can never smoke again." I say this to myself as though I've lost a friend through death or some other permanent circumstance, like I really loved this person/thing - it was in my life for a long time, but now it's gone, and that's just the way these things go, so I have to LET GO, nodding my head with cosmic understanding, realizing that "I can never smoke again."
            "I can never smoke again." Sometimes I say this to myself like I just got out of the doctor's office and have been given the ultimate ultimatum, that if I take one more drag off a fag, it will kill me instantly on the spot and that I have been given a new lease on life that says if I don't smoke, everything will be okay, so that I can be solemn and grateful at the same time for this second, final chance to never smoke again.
"I can never smoke again," is what I say when I imagine myself in the Broadway musical "Damn Yankees" where the devil has appeared to grant me my most solemn wish (and it's not to win the Series), and for his half of the bargain, he insists that I never smoke again. The whole thing ends with a really rousing chorus of "That Was My Wish Anyway, You Satanic Scum - That I Won't Ever Have to Smoke Again! Ha! Ha!" or words to that effect.
I get up in the morning, I go to bed at night, I drive the car, move through my day, and in my head, I hear myself saying now and again, "I can never smoke again," but I hear it this way - I CAN DO IT. It is POSSIBLE. I am ABLE - Yippee! - to never smoke again.
D.J.
Keeping this quit


********


Having a hard time with “new” feelings
Posted by Kate on April 18 at 11:11:31
Hi, I post amongst you all, but I am not using my real name because I am embarrassed to even ask this question, but I am going to anyway, even though I realize this is a not marriage counseling board. My husband and I haven't had a real good marriage for a while now, but for whatever reasons we have chosen to stay together and even manage to do some things together. However, since I have quit smoking (and it has been a couple of months now), things are changing.  When he used to bother me I would just have a smoke, take a deep breath and get over it - no big deal - life goes on. Now that I am not smoking, things I used to be able to just pass off are really getting to me and I feel like screaming!! Half the time I get so peed off I can't even be in the same room with him! I hate this.
I never thought there was any connection between this new feeling and smoking. However, my boss said when you quit smoking, you realize you have hidden behind emotions that you never even knew you had - anger, anxiety, etc. -  and that you have to learn to deal with all these new emotions that cigarettes used to take care of for you. He had told me this before and I thought, "What a bunch of crap!" but now I am not so sure.
I read a lot of posts here, and I have yet to see anyone mention having any relationship problems. Anybody out there experiencing anything like I am, or am I just crazy? I haven't had a lot of problems with my quit. I really have been doing quite well, but I have to admit I am having a hard time dealing with this and have thought about smoking again, just to see if the same old things still get to me so bad! Any input from anyone would sure be appreciated, or if you think am crazy, just tell me that, too!
Kate



Posted by Michael on April 18 at 16:11:05
In reply to: Having a hard time with “new” feelings Posted by Kate on April 18 at 11:11:31
Hi Kate,
I can't help you with your marriage, but I can try to explain what I think is happening with you in the emotions/feelings area.  It is true that smoking is an addiction, but we can’t just look at the addiction by itself.  We need to recognize how we use the addiction to affect our daily lives.
The addiction to cigarettes, at one of its many complex levels, is frequently used as a defense mechanism - a temporary escape from a crisis situation. Now the crisis in question does not have to be monumental by any means.  It can range anywhere from needing a break from doing a report to grieving over the loss of a loved one.  My point is, Kate, that we use smoking to temporarily delay the inevitable.  By reaching for a cigarette we give ourselves a five-minute reprieve from whatever the crisis may be.  The addict mind eventually teaches us to think that the cigarette will solve the problem, when in reality all it does is delay the problem.  Once our mind thinks of the cigarette as a problem solver, we then come to letting it solve by repression.  By physically removing ourselves from the crisis at hand to go have a smoke, we give ourselves the perfect opportunity to repress it.
In an argument, a cooling off period can be very beneficial.  It gives us a chance to get rid of that In-Your-Face anger and come back to discuss things rationally and calmly.  That’s not an easy thing to do, though.  Anger is something we humans love to harbor and hold on to.  By using a smoke as a problem solver coupled with the cooling off period, it’s easy to see how feelings and emotions regarding crises can easily get repressed. 
When we finally quit smoking, the act of smoking as a defense or escape mechanism just isn't valid any more.  We may still go for the cooling off period, but that period is no longer filled with the problem solver we were used to.  Consequently our feelings and emotions are no longer repressed.  What we need to do at that point is relearn how to respond to crisis.  Once we consciously teach ourselves new methods of stress/crisis management, fighting the addiction becomes a productive endeavor that will improve our level of personal wellness. 
Quitting the act of smoking is not only healthy for our bodies, Kate; it also helps our psyche to evolve so that we may truly live…
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********


Seven Months and a short ramble...
Posted by Wayne on March 01 at 10:31:18
Seven months and you know what I know?
You really want this freedom. 
You know it, I know it, and sometimes
We lose sight of it in the crisis-of-the-moment.

You chose to be here for a sound reason,
But you’ve done so much of it on faith
That occasionally you doubt your resolve, or ability, or wisdom.
Don’t.

It will come to you.
It may not come like a bolt of lightning.
It may come in the slow realization of something already past:
That you can and have done it.

Your world, with all its bumps, just got better:
You hang on to that with all you’ve got.

Still wishing you an easy mind and a strong heart and everything you need,
Wayne - 7 months today

********


Living to QUIT and FEAR of NEVER smoking again...
Posted by Rob on March 12 at 22:57:23
These were my two biggest problems when I first quit.  All I did was talk about smoking/not smoking - wanting to smoke/not wanting to smoke... "I can have one if I want, I'll just start over."  Everybody around me was supportive, but after time they figured I'd quit.  I mean one month is all a person needs, right?  Well, they just got sick of hearing about it and I felt guilty driving everybody crazy.  My saving grace was this bulletin board.  Nobody turned me away and everybody knows it takes a good bit of time JUST to get secure with your quit.  I posted here like a maniac - fears of this, how do I handle that and on and on… The support and response and insight I got here pulled me through the worst of times.  I couldn't stand the thought of NEVER SMOKING AGAIN - there was no way I could succeed.  When that thought came to mind, I'd panic, get depressed, question the whole ordeal and wonder if I would be one of the lucky ones who smoke right up to their death in their 90's.  Well, at about one and a half months I noticed I wasn't complaining as much and I was giving advice on quitting. 
Then came the time for the dreaded summer vacation... There are just too many smoking times when you’re on vacation, like the beach, the bars, the restaurants, the drive down and back and, of course, sitting on the balcony watching the sun rise and set...*sigh*.  I went on the family vacation determined to make it and had a tremendous feeling of owing the people here a success.  I DID NOT SMOKE AT ALL... In fact I noticed that I was now controlling the shots.  I was secure in my quit and all I had to do was keep an eye over my shoulder.  It really did get easier to push the urge out of mind.  As more time went by it got even easier and I DIDN’T EVEN CARE ABOUT EVER SMOKING AGAIN... It was over!
Now, I still get little urges and you hear stories about people who quit for this long and that long and start again… Well, I can only tell you they have allowed themselves to fall.  I know more people who have quit and stayed quit than not, so don't be discouraged. This is a life long commitment, YES, but once you get control, it's not that bad.  I might think.... A smoke would be nice right now????...Yeah, right - what's nice about it? - and it's gone.  I'm FINE!  What I'm saying is that the weight you have on your shoulders slowly drops off, where you can carry it in your hand and when it acts up, you shove it in a pocket... THE END!
I smoked for 33 years.  I QUIT - I KNOW 100% I WILL NOT EVER SMOKE AGAIN - I HAVE NO DESIRE - IT'S DEAD - PERIOD! You'll get there and believe me - you'll see what I mean -  GO HARD! 
Sincerely, Rob
Now quit and happy for ten months, two weeks, 3 hours, 24 minutes and 14 seconds. 11204 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,120.64.
Life saved: 5 weeks, 3 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes.

********


I’m curious about your “mindset” Michael
Posted by Steve on January 12 at 07:43:51
Dear Michael,
Congrats on making it to 16 months!  I can’t wait until I get there too.  What does it feel like to be that far along?  I’ve heard you mention that your mindset has changed.  I’m real curious about that and was wondering if you might share a little about what you mean?  Thanks!  Gonna party at all today?
Steve

Posted by Michael on January 12 at 08:19:33
In reply to: I’m curious about your “mindset” Michael Posted by Steve on January 12 at 07:43:51
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the congrats, Steve. I appreciate that, and yes, we are going to celebrate by going out to dinner.  We do it every month, even if the family doesn’t remember why…*Smile*.
Answering your question about my mindset at 16 months is a bit tricky… I'm not so sure I actually know... *Smile* Let me give it a try, though.  Basically the addiction isn't in my face any more, and the memories of kicking back with a good smoke come less and less.  I'm totally certain I'll never smoke again, but I still feel the need to remain on top of the addiction.  That's why I still hang around the Board and offer my advice and experience, albeit selectively.  I feel like I've taken a small step outside the addiction circle, and find myself looking in as though I'm not quite part of it any more.  At times that scares me, because I also know that the addict in me will never leave.  I guess that's why I'm still here…
At 16 months the urgency of the quit is no longer a factor.  At this stage it's really a maintenance thing.  I am able to consciously examine the addiction and all the pieces of my life that have been affected by it.  More importantly, though, I am actually starting to enjoy the new lifestyle I had to learn, one which does not revolve around that next smoke...
Hmmm… I guess that should answer your question, Steve.  Thanks for making me think about it!
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********

Remembering
Posted by D.J. on August 2 at 19:53:22
What a wonderful surprise from the day crew! I scrolled all the way down just to see all the congratulatory messages for my 6 month anniversary - people I hardly ever get to talk to - Trisha, Blanche, Lisa, Mick, Mark - you're great people, all of you. And AnnaH, always, the right words to help me feel I make a contribution here.  Marianne, as always, a pleasure to share the second of every month with you as the weeks roll by. You sound strong, carrying forth. It's unfair for me to whine about people I miss reading around here (Charlene! Vickie! Lisa!), when I haven't exactly been reliable myself, but you're one of the ones I miss most, Marianne, the wit, the wisdom.
Newbies, it's an honor to be here with you - Alan, Jim35, CJ, Stacey - what a massive week you have had to face, breaking this addiction. It's you I'll end up addressing from these six months up the road.  Because, you see - I'm starting to forget. I never would have believed this was possible from as little as two months ago, but I am losing the sharpest memories of the pain of my quit, and I pause for a moment to contemplate. Human forgetfulness performs an invaluable function, they say, so that suffering - eventually - cannot be so readily recalled, or we would stop loving for all the hurt that love can deliver, and we would stop living because of every bad experience in life.
The two-sided sword of forgetfulness also makes it necessary for us to erect a Holocaust Museum and pause on the occasions of many other low moments in human history under the banner, with the words, "Lest We Forget." Because we will! We WILL forget the greatest and deepest of our sufferings and shames because we HAVE to in order to carry on. Why, if I remembered the magnitude of certain junior high school embarrassments that nearly killed me then (but I can hardly remember now!), I'd have to be sedated. If I remembered like yesterday the loss of both of my parents to long and painful cancer/smoking deaths, why would I possibly want to stick around to keep living it?
The irony? Remembering our forgetfulness. In this way, though I don't feel the precise pain of the loss of each parent, I REMEMBER how bad it felt to lose them; I remember that smoking killed them both; and I remember everything about living in a house full of smoke AND love, so they don't get confused in my memories. And when I sit down to write to any one of you about the shared experience of breaking this addiction, I REMEMBER how bad it felt in cold-turkey Hell Week (and if you concentrate/meditate long enough, it can get REAL CLOSE to the original pain and anxiety, boy howdy, I'll tell you! Not completely gone yet, no sir!).
I bring it back as best I can so that I can bring up the best words to let you know - I have been there; no matter how BAD you feel now - believe it or not - YOU WILL FORGET the intensity of this pain; you WILL survive. You will one day be writing and thinking from my position - and then Pat's position, Mark's perspective - and then Bob's and Sherry's and Rita's and Wayne's and Rob's, Michael's - out and out, farther and farther away from where you are now, and then perhaps you - like me - will hardly be able to believe that something that consumed so much of you - something that was wound 'round every single fiber of being, thought and impulse - something around which you arranged your life in reflex addiction can possibly seem so distant and so unnecessary now.
As you "forget," so must you start the practice of remembering - a conscious practice so that your clever little survivalist mind won't suddenly present you with a picture of the perfectly smoked cigarette - the good times, the bonding and the buzz, when you REMEMBER that maybe one-out-of-fifty cigarettes went down without scorching you, putting your body in a defensive crouch against the smoke with every deep drag - how well you REMEMBER your tight, tar-covered lungs desperate to expand up a flight of stairs and hopelessly unable to. The "good" times? The room full of smokers just like you, each lighting up defensively, one right after the other, huddled together in minority smoking space and unwelcome and uncomfortable anywhere else. How many bummed cigarettes do you remember from "bonding" with fellow addicts? How good did it really feel to fall asleep after a day of servicing your addiction, spiking your blood pressure on a regular, relentless basis, staining with its odor your hair, your clothes, your breath, your automobile, your spirit?
And then laying there at night, trying to sleep, when up rises the real fear and extent of your addiction - that you really HAVE to stop smoking - the real anxiety attack over your health, the money spent, your LIFE and that of those you love. Those moments that have driven you to contemplate quitting before - almost in a panic. And you might for a while - and you do - but then you start forgetting again everything that was so patently, unmitigatingly WRONG with smoking - you start to forget how you'd have given most anything to be finally free . . . 
When you quit smoking - finally, finally, by degrees - all of this pain and anxiety goes away. The human miracle of forgetfulness! And that, then, is when we must begin the conscious practice of remembering.
That's why I'm here. It almost scares me that whole days go by without thinking about something I used to have to think about CONSTANTLY. Smoking. Weeks have gone by, months - no cravings, no thought of it. That's why I come here - to do the work of remembering. It's just too strange to think that something I did for 26 years compulsively is suddenly gone and forgotten - something that was in the house of my life since birth, all through the rock-and-roll years, accompanying me through the writing of each thesis and the celebration of same. Surely it can’t be this EASY to let go!
As I feel the grip on the BEST words - the most accurate ones - slip away with the months - (it's almost sad! bittersweet . . .), as I try to help you, as any of us do, please remember of all of us - we are not spouting platitudes at you that have no meaning to your present pain and situation of depression and withdrawal. If one more "It gets better" gets on your nerves, one more "Just don't smoke," (in the end, you will understand that this is the sacred everything!), or one more parade (of remembrance) doesn't connect with you - if we can't locate the bull’s eye of your needs, forgive us, but mistake not our kinship. I am you, six months down the road, forgetting the worst of it, and remembering: this was the best, most meaningful thing I ever did in my whole life. I can hardly wait for you to feel this peace, this forgetfulness. You are here helping me with the work of remembrance. I hope to be here to help you with yours.
Congratulations to all of us - everyone one on the board at every stage of their quit - for doing the greatest thing you could possibly do for yourself and your loved ones for every minute, hour, month and day that you have stayed away from cigarettes. You are ALL the most courageous and awesome people I've ever known.
And don't you forget it.
D.J.
6M


Posted by Michael on August 2 at 20:47:53
In reply to: Remembering Posted by D.J. on August 2 at 19:53:22
That perspective is so important - thank you for reminding me! Lately it seems like all I have left in me is telling folks how great my life is now… Even I find that it's played… Remembering truly is the key… Sure my life and my body are great now - I ride my bike 50-60 miles on a Sunday morning without giving it a second thought. Remembering that most physical activity used to be almost impossible due to lack of oxygen – well, let’s just say it's a bad memory. And though it may be bad, it's important, just like your reference to the Holocaust Museum. We NEED to remember - for ourselves as well as for those who follow.
So newbies, I DO remember - the cravings, the crying, the depression, the anger, the screaming, the doubt, the temptations, and the whole realm of junkie thinking. I remember too the slow but steady awakening of freedom, the journey of climbing one day at a time to the place I am at now. I won't ever forget where I came from - Hell...  If you're there now, then God Bless you, because you're on the right track. LIVE the feelings you are experiencing now - REMEMBER what you endured as a newbie! Put these memories at the forefront of your mind so you'll never forget the pain. As time passes, you can weigh your freedom against the painful memories - eventually, freedom will win every time!
D.J. - thanks. Once again you've managed to put things in perspective for me. J
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!


Posted by Michael on August 5 at 08:23:22
When one door closes another door opens;
But we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door,
That we do not see the new worlds which open for us.
Alexander Graham Bell

            D.J.'s post the other day about remembering really opened my eyes - reminded me - about what it meant to be a smoker. I've been so happy lately that I've had a tendency to forget all the crap that went along with smoking. So these past few days I've been remembering what smoking used to be like - looking at it from the other side of the fence, because now I really hate smoking. I’ve been trying to think of something wise to share with you to get this across, but the one situation that keeps coming to mind is the "smoke in the eye" syndrome. Ever get that? Of course you have... J It would always happen at the most inopportune time, too - like while trying to impress a date with suave conversation - LOL - I can still remember it like it was yesterday.
I don't quite know where this post is going, but I think the quote from Mr. Bell is still the mainstay of my message. I remember the pain I went through early in my quit - I know that's where most of you are now - but you have to know what's ahead. It's not bragging or anything like that - and it sounds like a broken record at this point, but you newbies MUST be told that there IS a better life at the end of your pain. I was there - when people told me it'll get better when I was sitting in a corner crying, the only thought that came to mind was "Fuck you! What the hell do you know?"
Some people are thinking that very same thing reading this post - and that's ok. Every recovering addict thinks that way. And if I and the other Old Fogeys were some rehab counselors with a lot of degrees and book knowledge who never smoked a day in our lives, I'd totally agree. But you know what? You just can't blow off the experience of a fellow addict - we know what you're living because we lived it, too. Wayne put it so eloquently when he said he'd love to take your pain. But he was also right in that you HAVE to LIVE the pain in order to comprehend the freedom.
"Live the pain? What kind of advice is that?" you say. It's the truth is what it is. There is no easy fix for this addiction. Anyone who tells you different is plainly a liar. It's NOT easy - as a matter of fact it's the hardest thing you'll ever do. Success comes at a snail's pace - sometimes the pace of a snail on crutches - but as God is my witness it DOES come. It's all up to you, though - you alone make the choice to NOT smoke. Everything in our lives CAN be handled without the help of a cigarette. It's up to us to choose to do so.
Every time you choose to handle a situation without reaching for a smoke brings you one step closer to freedom. Cry through the choice, scream through the choice if you have to, but make the choice. Make it consciously every time you're in doubt. Make it a verbal choice or even write it down - voicing your choice makes it more binding - do it in front of a mirror if you have one.
Fight the demon on his own terms - 90% of this addiction is a mind game. Use the power of your mind to beat him on his own turf. The demon tries to take away your mind's abilities by clouding it with junkie thinking. Reawaken your ability to choose - choose freedom! :-)
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********


Luck, Hope & Maybe…
Posted by Michael on May 17 at 06:33:28
Good morning friends,
Some words have been popping up seemingly more frequently this week, and I feel they warrant some attention.  There are three little words that by themselves don’t stand out much, but when used in conjunction with fighting addiction can have a pretty strong influence on the addict mind.  I always tell folks that the words luck, hope & maybe have no place in a quit.  
 The word luck refers to a game of chance. Fighting our addiction is anything but that. It takes knowledge, strength and determination to beat the Nicodemon at his own game.  Hoping we'll make it this time leaves the door wide open for relapse. The beast needs to face a confident opponent instead of someone who is doubtful of success.  The tentative thought that maybe I can make it this time also leads to the much stronger thought that maybe I can't make it, which is detrimental to the addict mind.
Considering the fact that most of our addiction is a mind game, it's imperative that we not undermine our success by using words that can set us up for failure.
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********

Life is Worth Living

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately,
To front only the essential facts of life,
And see if I could not learn what it had to teach,
And not, when I came to die,
Discover that I have not lived.
I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear,
Nor did I wish to practice resignation,
Unless it was quite necessary.
I wanted to live deep and suck the marrow out of life...   


                                                     Henry David Thoreau