Thursday, January 15, 2015

Chapter 5 - Anger and Frustration

       “What about it?  What’s your problem, anyway?  I didn’t tell you to quit!”
Sound familiar?  Those words or similar ones are what many ex-smokers hear from friends and family early on in the quit, and rightfully so, because early on, especially during physical withdrawal, our behavior patterns quite often leave a lot to be desired.  Over-reacting, snapping and screaming, picking fights and sometimes even physical violence tend to surface in the behavioral repertoire of the new quitter.  The calmest of human beings can easily develop a temporary Jekyll & Hyde mentality when suddenly compelled to start a new life that no longer includes the beloved cigarette.
            Why is it, though, that we display feelings of anger after getting rid of our nasty, filthy habit of smoking cigarettes?  Shouldn’t we be celebrating the fact that we have now improved our quality of life while increasing our life span as well?  Of course we should, but we don’t because we are addicts.  We are addicts who love our addiction more than life itself.  Even though our better judgement compels us to finally fight and control this addiction, we resent the fact that we can’t smoke any longer.
            Early on in a quit this resentment often displays itself as anger.  We react very much like toddlers who have their favorite toy or candy taken away.  We get angry.  We basically throw tantrums, much to the dismay of our loved ones.  If you can manage to take a step back and look at your recent behavior as a new ex-smoker, you may even find some of it to be downright comical.  I remember well the night I blew up at my family because even though dinner was one of my favorite meals, it wasn’t what I wanted to be eating that particular night…
            Anger is an emotion that is bound to be part of every quit, although the intensity will be different for each individual depending on personality.  Changes in behavior need to be watched and rising anger should be channeled toward the addiction instead of being unleashed on friends and family.  Always remember that the battle is between you and the addiction, not the world.             
Fortunately for everyone, the true anger stage doesn’t last all too long.  Once physical withdrawal is conquered you tend to settle down some, but then another set of feelings tends to emerge, namely feelings of frustration.  You will most likely experience a period when many of your emotions or feelings about your quit just don’t make any sense or don’t meet your expectations.  Quite often ex-smokers don’t understand why after two, three, four or even five months the love and desire for the act of smoking hasn’t lessened.  During this stage the severe cravings have subsided, but the process of learning to live a new life that excludes cigarettes can be rather frustrating at times.  Getting through everyday activities like driving a car without a cigarette can become a concentrated and laborious effort.  Not being able to handle the simplest of tasks with the usual ease can be disconcerting to say the least.
It is during this time that the support group can be extremely helpful.  Sharing these frustrations with other group members will show you that you are definitely not alone.  Similarities with other ex-smokers may surprise you, but that is exactly why the support group is such an effective tool.  Knowing that you are not alone with your feelings can help you realize that this period of anger and frustration is just another stage on your road to freedom.




Who the hell am I?
Posted by Mike on November 21 at 12:30:28
HELP!  I don't know who I am any more!  I've been quit just over a week and I don't think I can take much more of this.  I think about smokes constantly and I'm grouchy and I basically hate my life!  This morning I couldn't even tie my shoes… It’s like everything is turned upside down!  I've always been a pretty mellow guy, but the last few days have brought out the raving lunatic in me…
WHO THE HELL AM I?

Posted by Michael on November 21 at 16:44:38
In reply to: Who the hell am I? Posted by Mike on November 21 at 12:30:28
Dear Mike,
I'll get to answering your question in a minute, but before I do that I want to tell you a little about the new life you have started.  Up until now, smoking has been a major part of almost everything you do. Driving, hanging out, walking, waiting, partying, drinking, breakfast, lunch, dinner, waking up, catching a bus, subway or cab, watching TV... and on and on and on and on...  Until now smoking permeated every facet of your everyday life. Taking that away not only causes physical withdrawal, it also throws your body and your mind into a tailspin. Your metabolism changes, you're maybe constipated for a few weeks... More importantly, though, your brain has this big turmoil going on because everything you do has some integral part missing from it.
Solution? You must re-learn to do everything you used to do with a smoke. You have to force yourself to learn to do daily activities in a new way that does not include smoking. Sound simple? It is and it isn't. The premise is fine, but the learning process must be conscious and deliberate. Take driving for example. That was the big one for me. I'd always light up as soon as I got into the car, so I had to find a different activity to fill the void left by quitting smoking. Now, I check and adjust the mirrors. The way I learned was by consciously doing something different at a time when I was used to lighting up.  That's how you have to look at all of your life, Mike, because your addiction was a bigger part of it than you can imagine.
Now, to actually answer you question, "Who the hell am I?" Well here's a list. I don't know you and we've never met, but I can tell you exactly who you are:
Mike,
You are an addict.
You are a person who now chooses to not feed his addiction.
You are a guy who has already conquered his addiction for more than a week.
You are me.
You are Blair, Ron, Sharon, Wayne, Moneca, Suzan and everyone else here.
You are this support group.
Most importantly, Mike, you are an ex-smoker!
Now do me a favor and say that with pride!
"I, MIKE, AM AN EX-SMOKER AND PROUD OF IT!"
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********

This is the *&%^**^# PITS!
Posted by Eve on January 27 at 00:53:42
I feel so angry right now! Here I am at 2W 4D 2h 1m and 23s, 325 cigs NOT smoked, and I find myself once again at what feels like day one! I am not exactly sure what kept me from buying a pack of cigs today other than my Higher Power and my knowing that I really don't want to smoke. Yet there WAS this very strong voice telling me I wanted to smoke and just forget it! It is easier to smoke.
WHERE DOES THIS COME FROM? WHEN WILL IT STOP? AM I GOING TO MAKE IT? WHEN WILL I KNOW I MADE IT? Ahhhhhhhh… I feel insane again and I am so tired of this rollercoaster ride.
I guess just venting helps. Also, today when I wanted to buy a pack so bad, I kept thinking of this Board and all the support and wonderful people that make it what it is. I didn't want to come here and tell you I caved to the #$^#&%#&7 Nicodemon. I'm not sure, though, if I can keep from caving if this doesn't stop. I have this thing - a knot I guess - in my stomach that feels like it won't go away unless I smoke. Oh, that was the other thing that kept me from caving today - our mantra SMOKING IS NOT AN OPTION! Then I thought of the #$(#&$3Q #??*#8 Fat Guys... I am so angry I could just spit. I hate this! I hate this! I hate this! And did I mention that I #*$ #@($&& #*$##$$**&^%%*$*@@ HATE THIS?
WHERE IS THAT PEACE?
INSANE EVE

Posted by Michael on January 27 at 05:38:17
In reply to: This is the *&%^**^# PITS! Posted by Eve on January 27 at 00:53:42
Hi Eve,
Anger can be a good emotion when you're fighting your addiction. Make sure you channel it against the addiction though, and not against yourself or loved ones. You're not alone with these feelings, Eve.  It goes with the territory of a few weeks quit. What's sinking in right now is that you really are changing your whole life, and that can be overwhelming at times.
There's a song by The Steve Miller Band, Jet Airliner, that has the line: "You got to go through hell before you get to heaven...” Keep in mind, Eve, that heaven, or freedom from smoking, is what you will find at the end of this misery you're going through.  Ride it out any way you can.  Brighter days are just around the corner!
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********


Bleeeaaaaaahhh
Posted by Simone on February 05 at 21:58:45
Fifth day:
WHINE WHINE WHINE---
Today:
-          I've had my schedule ripped apart & pieced back together.
-          My friend got mad at me for acting rudely... so she gave me hell.
-          I was forced to do some stuff at work today that I really wasn't in the mood for.
-          I successfully insulted everyone without even trying.
-          Began to suspect that everyone was lying to me and talking behind my back.
-          Found out that everyone was indeed talking behind my back, although the rest of my conspiracy theory wasn't confirmed.
-          My mother paged me throughout the workday, but whenever I got to a phone and tried to call her back, her line was tied up.
-          Finally got through with mother only to take half an hour out of my workday to listen to her yell and cry about my brother's newly discovered meth addiction.
-          Said goodbye to mother (who is leaving for the UK for three weeks), after promising to try to keep track of the kids.
-          Got nagged by my honey about something inconsequential - the nagging served as proverbial last straw and I screamed and cried the whole way home.
Had a flippin’ CRUDDY day today… And I want a cigarette. BAD.
Uuuuurrrrrrrmmmmf… Help me… Please?
Simone

Posted by Lorielle on February 05 at 22:07:36
In reply to: Bleeeaaaaaahhh Posted by Simone on February 05 at 21:58:45
Hi Simone,
            No you don't need a cig... You need a hug.  Hugs are much healthier, free, and feel good! Keep fighting Simone, it does get easier!
{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}
Lori

Posted by Joanne on February 05 at 22:24:31
In reply to: Bleeeaaaaaahhh Posted by Simone on February 05 at 21:58:45
It’s the nicotine - the lack of it... It plays mind tricks... It’s doing it to me, too... I feel like the entire world is after me... Let’s show this demon that we are more powerful... I feel so bad, too, but we can do it!  We really can! Just hang on, ok?

Posted by Lisa W. on February 05 at 23:22:57
In reply to: Bleeeaaaaaahhh Posted by Simone on February 05 at 21:58:45
Screaming, whining, eating chocolate, dancing and singing to music, and receiving hugs are nicotine free – I highly recommend you choose one of these options. If you got through a horrid day like that without picking up, the Nicodemon doesn't stand a chance with you. Congrats!
Lisa

Posted by Hez on February 05 at 22:06:24
In reply to: Bleeeaaaaaahhh Posted by Simone on February 05 at 21:58:45
…And while all this goes down, you need to stop for a minute and say to yourself... DAMN I'M GOOD!  Honey, be proud that you didn't smoke... And you are NOT going to, either! Life is still going to dish out the highs and lows, cigarette or not.  You can be glad you got rid of that problem…

To Lorielle, Hez, Joanne... and everyone... some thoughts
Posted by Simone on February 05 at 23:43:09
Thanks Joanne, Lorielle, Hez... You guys are the greatest... Thanks for responding so quickly to my whiny-ass post... Big ((((((((hugs)))))))) all around.  I'm sorry you feel so crappy, too, Joanne... We all have to stick together, huh? I'm SO glad I have all of you, and this Board...
It's been a really rough day. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired... I've swung from angry, irritable, depressed, irrational, tearful and mean to apologetic, energetic, friendly, compassionate, patient and understanding.  I mean, we women have all had moodswings before, am I right? WE DON'T NEED EXTRA! ...LOL... I'm just trying to stay focused on The Cause - remembering that I'm miserable for a damn good reason.... Bleeeaaaaah. 
It occurred to me that smoking is different from other addictions. With alcohol and drugs, the addict typically hits bottom before realizing it's time to quit. Now, of course, some smokers are faced with the harsh reality of illness or disease and are warned by their doctors that not quitting will result in awful, awful things... But for the most part it seems we quitting smokers have to just pick a day out of the year and stop a beloved habit that has not presented any immediate risk. How brave we are! Don't you agree?
Not that I'm not scared out of my wits and feeling crappy or anything… Okay, that's me for now... I'll be back again soon... Hang in there, everyone.
xxoo
Simone

********
When does the ride stop?
Posted by Eve on January 18 at 20:16:09
Hi Everyone,
Still sane today, but I'd like to know when the ride stops...  I had a few cravings today, but not too bad. I feel like I need to buckle up and put on a helmet now, though, because usually two good days have led straight to a day of havoc. Maybe it won't this time, BUT I want to be prepared just the same. How do I prepare? Is that even possible?
My friend at work had her one year anniversary in December and she told me she still craves now and then but it doesn't last long. I guess I wanted some magic here and wanted to hear that after a certain point, there would be no more cravings or insane days.
I'm still feeling angry at times, too.  Even if I’m not craving, my patience level has hit bottom and I usually have LOTS of patience.  I look forward to that returning. I am getting used to feeling angry. That is something I did not allow before and I'm getting better with it.
I don't know if anything I have typed thus far has made one ounce of sense. I reckon I'm just rambling and I reckon I have the need. I am usually a quiet person but have noticed I am talking more and sometimes I'm YELLING... Wild... I am grateful for another relatively calm day and again I am cherishing it. That is all I know to do with it right now. Just cherish the sane, calm moments and talk about it. Thanks for listening. Please… Someone tell me that I will not crave forever. Even if it isn't true, just let me hear it anyway. PLEASE! Just a TAD desperate, eh? :-)
Having a peaceful evening and cherishing it,
Eve

Posted by Michael on January 18 at 20:26:00
In reply to: When does the ride stop? Posted by Eve on January 18 at 20:16:09
Hi Eve,
The ride never stops, but it does get smoother... My philosophy is that we will never stop being addicts. I've developed that train of thought because once I quit for seven months and then picked up for absolutely no good reason. That's why I'm still here after 16 months, staying on top of my addiction, refusing to feed it. I can tell you this though; my ride is wonderfully smooth now. I've even been able to get in touch with a lot of feelings that were previously repressed. Quitting is a good thing, as you well know. Many of the physical benefits are apparent almost immediately. The psychological benefits will come with time, all on their own, and before you know it, your ride will smooth out as well.
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

Follow-up
Posted by Eve on January 18 at 21:39:43
Michael,
You are so kind and gentle. Thank you. I guess I am just now facing the fact that I am an addict. I hesitate to say that because of my family history. I always considered them the addicts - addicted to drugs and alcohol. I was not one of them. I only smoked cigarettes.  And then when I REALLY thought about it, I knew it was the same thing, just in a different form. So I am learning to hear and accept that I am an addict. Yikes, that hurts! I am also just coming to terms with repressed feelings. I am learning to allow myself to feel and to cry. This is quite a process, eh?  Thanks for letting me know that the ride will get smoother. That helps.
Peace to you, Michael,
Eve
********

Having some problems at 1month, 2weeks, 4days...
Posted by BJ on April 25 at 14:46:10
Hi, I have been off the Board awhile, but I need some help today. I am struggling and don't know what to do anymore. I recently took off the patch. I think the ups and downs with that made my cravings worse when the effectiveness of it wore off. So I am on my own now.  My stinkin’ thinkin’ keeps telling me to smoke, and then I get real tired and worn down from the cravings.  It’s like I am getting no relief from the cravings, even after all this time.  What is the matter with me? Am I the only person out there that has had this difficult of a time quitting? My husband thinks if you make it three days it’s all over.  A person shouldn't be having problems with it - of course he has never smoked. Any advice is more then welcome.
BJ

Posted by JW on April 25 at 16:50:15
In reply to: Having some problems at 1month, 2weeks, 4days... Posted by BJ on April 25 at 14:46:10
All I can say about quitting smoking is that it is first and foremost NOT EASY. Three days without smoking is THE EASY PART! It is the 30th day and 50th and so on that is so difficult! I think it is because the craving is still there! At the beginning, craving is expected... After a while it comes as a SURPRISE and seems more intense. And you begin to ask yourself, "What is the matter with me?" Well, I am pretty sure the problem is that you are an addict! All of us addicts feel JUST like that, so don't think for one minute that you are alone!
The question then becomes: How am I going to handle this fact that I CRAVE cigarettes? This is not just a mere attraction to smoking - it is a strong DESIRE. One way to get rid of the craving is to smoke a cigarette (and many, many, many, many more after that)! You obviously don't really want to do that, or you wouldn't be posting on this Board.
The other way is to face and accept the fact that you want a cigarette, thereby accepting the uncomfortable feelings that go with it, and then not smoking! Look at the craving for what it is, a desire, not a need. I say it like this - I WON'T die because I don't smoke today, I MIGHT die if I do.
Then I use my willpower stuff. These are the things that give ME resolve to resist that cigarette:
My top ten list for quitting. (If you don't have one, make one right now! If you do have one, get it out and read it!)
My walking fast.
My deep breathing.
My cinnamon sticks to chew on.
My kids (grown now, but oh so helpful).
My reading.
My work.
The SERENITY PRAYER.
Laughter.
Is this easy then? Absolutely not. The patch has NEVER cured anyone! You do that yourself by learning how to apply a new response to your craving, instead of lighting up! Use laughter as often as you can to resist the craving.
I am happy to tell you that this is a life long journey you are on, where you are being given the opportunity to learn about yourself and to find JOY. Seize it! Go to the Nicotine Anonymous web site and other quitting sites and LEARN. Try the techniques. Find the ones you like and use them. Develop new reasons, logic, and systems to control the response to the smoking urge! Then share them with other people! It is FUN. It is LIFE! I'm choosing life instead of smoking!
Smile. It makes it MUCH easier.
JW
********

Another close call... dreams... pissy & mean
Posted by Simone on March 22 at 21:55:21
I'm acting really pissy and self-centered right now. I just had a really big, hairy cow because my man forgot to let me sign his father's birthday card. HELLO... Gimme a break, Simone, you're going to drive that nice man away.
I dreamt again last night about smoking - that I snuck a cigarette. This morning I woke up mad as hell at my innocent little self for smoking. I was beating myself up for it all morning until I realized it was a dream. Those dreams frighten me. They sure do. They make me quake in my sneakers. I was feeling shitty about myself, thinking I was a smoker again, and I walked right up to a smoking friend of mine today as she stood there huffing huge clouds of pungent smoke, inhaled deeply, and was this close to bumming a cigarette off her. (How’s that for a run-on sentence?) She and I used to be Camel Light buddies, after all... We used to go out there with our yellowish teeth and our crusty lungs and smoke and smoke and smoke whenever we could. Yuck! Why can't I shake this gross, hateful feeling? Bleah. I feel like I've been smoking again.
And I came really close again last night. After a whole afternoon of drifting in and out of this Board, posting like a freak, I got into a huge argument with my man because he'd stood me up. He had made ME swear that we were going to go out for the afternoon and hike, and then go get coffee together and hang out, but then he went to his friend's house to jam for an hour but didn't come back for three hours, by which time it was nearly six and the sun was going down... GRR!
So we're yelling, and I decide that I've got to do SOMETHING with this energy besides trying to beat him up or burn the house down (heh heh), so I go and take a walk... And then I realize I'm going to the corner store to buy a pack of cigarettes. So I thought about it for a minute… And I REALLY got into thinking about it. I thought about how I would walk in, hold out my ID and my money, and quickly get that smooth, comforting pack in my hand... I mentally ran through the ritual of opening it, taking one out, lighting it... And I thought to myself, sure, what the hell… I deserve it… I'm pissed off and hurt.  But then I just kind of changed my mind.
Anyway, I've had another really rough day at work, I've noticed a new rattle in my car, and I've been embarrassed by a co-worker for an innuendo I didn't intend.  I've dealt with my family's drama once again, and now I'm fighting with my honey about a stupid goddamn birthday card - as if there aren't larger things in life. I'm not smoking. I'm whining endlessly instead. Poor freaking me…
Love to all,
Simone

Posted by Lisa W. on March 22 at 22:20:33:
In reply to: Another close call... dreams... pissy & mean Posted by Simone on March 22 at 21:55:21:
Count to ten, and quietly, slowly, calmly go over to that CD player of yours and choose a nice, calming selection.
I know reality is tough sometimes - but in your case, it's far better than the fantasy - so COME BACK TO US, SIMONE.  A great, happy, successful, non-smoking life is waiting for you and the rest of your personalities - hehehe. Just pinch yourself and make those horrid nightmares disappear. I checked your closet and under your bed - the monster has gone away. I think he went over to the Nicodemon's house to play - so YOU'RE SAFE AND SOUND, Simone.
Hugs,
Lisa

Posted by Eileen on March 22 at 23:24:03
In reply to: Another close call... dreams... pissy & mean Posted by Simone on March 22 at 21:55:21
Sorry to hear that you've had such a miserable day! I’ve always found negative affect to be the most difficult thing to make it through without a cigarette - like a cigarette can really change negative emotions to positive ones. Hahaha. But we imbue a cigarette with so much power, just as smokers do - power to soothe, power to calm (hey - isn't that a commercial?). Seriously though, you are learning how to cope with really difficult situations without resorting to a drug and an artificial sense of control. Great stats, Simone, hang in there, the day is almost over.
Hugs, Eileen

********

                        Smoking is a crisis in and of itself, not a remedy for one.


                                                                        Michael – May 1999