Thursday, January 15, 2015

Chapter 8 - The Slip – Failure or Learning Experience?

        There are a myriad of excuses the addict will use in order to justify picking up or having just one.  Anything from a sudden crisis that is extremely stressful to the misguided belief that we need to prove something to ourselves can cause us to light up.  The end result in either case is that one or more realistically unwanted cigarettes are smoked.  Wanting a cigarette while learning to become an ex-smoker is a dilemma we face each and every day.  Often the perceived need becomes so strong that we “just can’t take it any more.”  We know that feelings of guilt and failure are at the other end of that cigarette before we even light it, so why then do we do it?  
            Let’s say your doctor diagnoses you with a severe allergy to strawberries.  If you eat them you will break out in hives, your throat will close and you will run the risk of suffocating.  Immediately you give up strawberries, never to have one again, right?  That same doctor diagnoses you with budding emphysema brought on by smoking and advises you to stop immediately to try and keep the disease in check.  Fearing for your life, you throw the pack you're carrying in the nearest trashcan and vow to never smoke again.  Several weeks or even days later you light up even though you know it will advance a disease that is killing you.
            What is it about the addict and his drug that causes him to go against his better judgement and knowledge?  Setting aside the chemical dependency, it is, simply put, love.  It is an unconditional love that we have for the act of smoking.  Every action and tool involved in smoking is precious to us.  We all have our favorite lighter or ashtray.  We all adore the way the smoke trails off the end of the cigarette, and we all enjoy simply playing with a cigarette in our hand.  It is a love that we nurture over decades to a level where we are ready and willing to die for it. 
Now, all of a sudden, as an ex-smoker, you’re supposed to forget all that.  From one day to the next all these beloved things and activities are no longer part of your life.  Have you ever had your heart broken by someone you loved?  This scenario of quitting smoking is very similar in scope to having your heart ripped out by a person you're in love with.  You know realistically that the relationship is over, but yet you hang on.  Letting go is one of the hardest things to do.  There is one difference, though.  We have control over our relationship with smoking.  It is our choice whether or not the love is rekindled or allowed to die. 
As addicts, we sometimes succumb to the temptation of bringing back the old times, and after rationalizing this unwanted act, we slip.  Most ex-smokers who slip go through feelings of guilt and a strong sense of failure.  These feelings can be alleviated though if the slip is used as a learning tool.  You know the old saying, “You make a mistake, you learn from it and you move on.”  So it is with a slip.  If you can take a step back and analyze exactly what caused it, you’ll know better how to handle similar situations in the future.
The group is a great source of comfort and support for someone who slips.  Most everyone there has experienced the same thing at one time or another.  It is this sharing of experience that encourages learning rather than feelings of failure.



I slipped last night
Posted by Annie on September 30 at 06:02:42
Last night I had a cig. After waiting three hours to register for one class, and not knowing if that class was even available until the three hours were almost up, I stressed, paid an outrageous sum for a pack of Marlboros, smoked one and threw the rest out the window. Now, that doesn't even make sense to me, but I guess nothing does right now.
The cig was great, but I guess throwing the rest out did show me that my resolve is stronger than I thought.  I never would have believed I'd pay over $3.00 for a pack and not finish it off.  But I did and this morning I am sitting here without smokes and feeling better about it.  I'm crabby during the day, I wake up two hours before I need to every morning since I started this, I eat anything that doesn't eat me first, and I got weepy at a safety meeting yesterday.
Last night scared me because I don't want to be able to have just one and throw the pack away.  I don't think that will hold water for very long.   So, I basically start day three with one slip in.  I think I'll just try to get through today and let tomorrow worry about itself.   I can leave anything alone for one day.
Annie

Posted by Michael on September 30 at 17:33:19
In reply to: I slipped last night Posted by Annie on September 30 at 06:02:42
Dear Annie,
I've been where you're at. Trust me, for the addict there's no such thing as just one. Sure, there are some people who can have a smoke a week or maybe one every few months.  Those folks are referred to as chippers and they are able to go their entire life without ever becoming addicted to cigarettes.  That's not us, though.
That just one that you had yesterday seems like it was part of a horrible scenario right now, but if you're not careful, your mind will soon think of it differently. You need to drum home that for us addicts wanting just one actually means wanting them all... 20, 30, and 40 per day.  Just one is just not an option Annie!
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********
Looking for some help...
Posted by Eve on May 22 at 05:29:58
I have been lurking recently rather than posting for obvious reasons - hmmm - and now I am in trouble and need help so I'm just going to post and hope for the best.
I am really going through some junkie thinking and for brief periods of time I am thinking of buying stinkin' cigarettes again. I know I don't want them but some stinkin' part of me thinks I want them... I had company last weekend and I had that feeling that I was going to smoke. I knew that if I came in my room and got on here that I wouldn't smoke... Well, I chose not to come here and I smoked a stinkin' cigarette. It was not pleasant. I smoked another the next day. It was still not pleasant. Why did I do it? I could probably come up with many excuses...
My hubby, who quit before I did, is smoking again. I saw menthols in his Bronco and that is when I knew I was going to cave... I haven't had a menthol since I quit on Jan 8th - then blah, blah, blah. I don't think it matters what the reasons were because it all comes down to ME and the CHOICE I made.  I DO NOT WANT TO SMOKE! I DO NOT WANT TO BEGIN AGAIN!
I cannot even imagine going through this whole process again. I am very angry that I am this far along and still find myself struggling. I feel shy about posting because I don't want to scare anyone who is just beginning this journey, but I still NEED some help. Is there anyone out there who is this far along and still struggling? Most of the time I am doing pretty well and I am not anywhere near where I was when I first quit - I mean with cravings and such. It just pops up once in awhile and when it does I feel like I could just go right back to smoking - my deepest desire, though, is to maintain this quit and stay quit forever.
Well, there is a ramble and a half, eh? I really do need some help here. I will be with the same people again this weekend - tomorrow in fact - the same folks that I smoked with last Sunday. I do not want to smoke!
Well here are my latest stats, these stats reflect my slips and I wish I never had any slips to reflect: 4M 1W 6D 7h 4m, 2390 cigs NOT smoked, Saved $267.49, Life Saved 1W 1D 7h and 5m
Thanks in advance,
Peace to all of you,
Eve

Posted by Eileen on May 22 at 07:09:22
In reply to: Looking for some help... Posted by Eve on May 22 at 05:29:58
Hi Eve,
Well, I would have been almost as far along as you - if my junkie thinking hadn't gone from a couple of random thoughts (slips) to a full-blown obsessive pass-time (relapse).  If this were an easy addiction to break, we wouldn't be here.
Eve, you said that you did something differently this morning - you came here to post rather than smoke. I believe that is a key to success - we have to CHANGE OUR BEHAVIORS or we fall back too easily into the old habit.
What is important now is to recognize what is triggering the slips, accept that it has happened, and MOVE ON! Recommit yourself to the reasons you have CHOSEN to become an ex-smoker. Get your needs (for comfort, belonging, and relaxation?) met in different ways - consciously figure out what the needs are and take care of them/you.
I hope this helps... I appreciate all the times you've been there for me...
Hugs,
Eileen

Posted by Joyce on May 22 at 07:20:22
In reply to: Looking for some help... Posted by Eve on May 22 at 05:29:58
BIG HUGS coming your way Sweetie... I truly hate this addiction, Eve. Unfortunately, we will always have it - it will never go away - we just have to learn how to control it and not keep letting it control us... Eve, I definitely have quit a few times over the last 25 years that I smoked, so I know a lot of triggers that have stopped me from succeeding before.  Some of those of those triggers are:
 Getting it stuck in my head that I had to have just one. Well, I had just one 25 to 30 times a day for the last 25 years and not one of them helped me. I may have thought they did, because it certainly made my mind and body stop yearning for just one, but after blowing it like that and being stuck back in the middle of my addiction again, I knew when I started this quit that just one was just not an option because my addiction always tells me to have just one more and the vicious cycle starts again.
Another trigger for me was that I envied other people who were still smoking - not this time, though.  I now realize that my friends and co-workers are still deep in the cycle of their addiction and that 90% of smokers wish that they could quit...
If I were to cave in and start my addiction rolling again, I would start feeling the ill effects of smoking again in no time.  I know I would have to quit all over again and go through the hell of those first few weeks and those terrible crazies, so I just can't cave in because consciously enduring that hell would be more insane than the addiction itself.
When I quit, I accepted that I would often wish I could just sit down and smoke one.  I accepted that because I am a nicotine addict, and because I accepted it, the wish is not so traumatic when it happens now.  Even right this minute, as the thought flashes through my head to have one, I just tell myself to move on because SMOKING IS NO LONGER AN OPTION!
I also know now that smoking a sickarette will not stop the cravings, it will only create more, and I really appreciate living my life now - breathing deeper, smelling good and not worrying about a possible future with an oxygen tank... I don't know if this makes sense, I don't want to offend anyone when I say this, but, cancer most likely would have taken me much faster than emphysema.  That is the real fear to me - walking around with an oxygen tank in order to just move.  I can't bear to face something like that.  A friend at work retired, looking forward to the peace and quiet of retirement, and within six months she had an oxygen tank with her saying she had thought she couldn't have any fun in life without her sickarettes and how wrong she had been, and now she must struggle during the time she worked so hard for to enjoy... So I tell myself that I want quality of life in the future - I must make up my mind now that that is what I will strive for.  No, I don't know if I will make it that far down the road, but the Lord willing, I will have done what I need to do to ensure I will be able to enjoy it if I do....
So, my dear Eve, it does come down to what you really want out of life.  I know I didn't worry about it when I was 25, but I didn't worry about my retirement back then, either.  Now I find that I need to seriously look at what I want to happen in my life, how much I want to enjoy it, and still be healthy and able to enjoy it...
I don't know if this ramble will help at all, Eve.  My point is you have to accept that you are a nicotine addict and will most likely always desire to sit down with a smoke, but is that smoke worth your addiction once more having control over your life?  I hope you can find the strength to stay on this journey with us, because you certainly are worth the fight.  I also accepted with this quit, Eve, that I would always have to be on guard.  It never stops - it just gets easier to move on.  I wish you would come back and spend time with us again.  We all want the same thing - freedom from nicotine - and we all can fight this together!  Never forget, Eve, YOU ARE LOVED and WE ARE HERE FOR YOU!
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}
Love you,
Joyce
Four months, two weeks, six days, 11 hours, 20 minutes and 45 seconds. 3511 cigarettes not smoked, saving $416.03. Life saved: 1 week, 5 days, 4 hours, 35 minutes.

*******

Bombed big time
Posted by Renee on February 21 at 20:28:03
Well folks, tomorrow I start all over again.  I have been smoking the better part of this past week after a three-week quit.  I'm back on all my inhalers and antibiotics.  It's good to know that there are others out there like me.  I had given up on quitting because I just wasn't feeling much better.  I guess I have to quit for a long time to feel better, huh?  It's cold turkey time again for me, so I hope you all will welcome me back...

Welcome back...
Posted by Mark on February 21 at 20:34:42
In reply to: Bombed big time Posted by Renee on February 21 at 20:28:03
Well, as they say, get up, dust yourself off and start over. As long as you keep starting over, it will soon catch. I’ve heard that the average is seven tries.  Hopefully you learned from your slip, and you can avoid that pitfall next time.  Keep coming back and take care.
Mark

Of COURSE we welcome you back...
Posted by Simone on February 21 at 20:39:26
In reply to: Bombed big time Posted by Renee on February 21 at 20:28:03
 I'm sorry you bombed out this week, but I'm thrilled that you've come back.  And I'm proud that you didn't just settle back into smoking - it must be really hard to muster up that strength to start over, and I admire you for it. Right on!
Good luck, and welcome back!
Simone

Posted by Tommyboy on February 21 at 20:55:25
In reply to: Bombed big time posted by Renee on February 21 at 20:28:03
Hello Renee,
As far as bombing, why not think of this lapse as being part of the learning process? I cannot think of one ex-smoker who successfully quit during the first or even second attempt. The cold-turkey thing makes me shudder, as I have or am presently using every resource available (except acupuncture...hmmm).  My brother successfully went cold-turkey after a 39 1/2 year addiction, and both my sons have been quit over seven years after ten-year addictions, both having done it cold-turkey as well.
Hang tough no matter the route you take as none is easy, but the consequences of not doing this thing are a heck of a lot worse!  Live on this Board, lean on these people, and trust in GOD and YOURSELF that YOU CAN AND WILL DO THIS, AND BREAK FREE FROM THIS TERRIBLE SCOURGE!
You will feel better in a much shorter time than you can imagine.
Tom
Two months, three weeks, one day, 2 hours, 9 minutes and 55 seconds. 2492 cigarettes not smoked, saving $373.90. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 15 hours, 40 minutes and nothing is going to sway me from this path I have chosen!

Posted by JW on February 21 at 21:09:23
In reply to: Bombed big time Posted by Renee on February 21 at 20:28:03
Welcome back.
Ask yourself why you are quitting and ANSWER yourself honestly! If it is to feel better, those changes may be so minute that you don't even notice them - kind of like going deaf from years of exposure to loud noises... Gradual changes aren't noticed easily. The improvements my body has experienced are small steps, barely perceptible (to tell you the truth, I think most people exaggerate how much better they feel because it gives them resolve, so they lie to themselves. It works for them!). So that may not be enough of a reason for you to quit, but it is a starting point! And your health does improve over several years! Just don't get disappointed if you don’t notice those wonderful smells and tastes... it isn't the only reason to quit.
How about reasons like not having to go outside immediately after a movie to smoke, in the dark and cold? Or having to wait through a three hour graduation, craving a smoke the entire time? Or having to feel like a second class citizen in the parking lot of the grocery store as you hurriedly finish your cigarette?
Or how about the empowerment you grant yourself when you know you have gained a measure of control over this addiction? Or how GREAT you feel when your beloved family members say how wonderful it is that you have quit smoking?
Cold Turkey? Go for it! But if you need help, and the doc says ok, use what help you need to at the beginning. It helps to break the habit of reaching for a cigarette at first. It makes for just one less thing to worry about. The gum or patch or whatever - don't feel bad ONE BIT if you have to try a few more times! It is NOT TRUE that just because some person who smoked for 40 or 50 years quit, that anyone can... It IS TRUE that anyone who has enough reasons, and learns enough resolve (willpower), will succeed, and those who don't will have to try again!
Quitting smoking is a part of your journey in life! It is not happiness by itself - for us addicts it is a piece of the puzzle that brings each of us JOY in our lives. This IS a life long process. Here’s a quick metaphor to explain: When I was 20, I said when I get married I will be happy.  When I got married, I said when I have children I will be happy.  When I had children I said when the children are bigger I will be happy.  When the children were teens I said when they graduate I will be happy.  When they graduated I said when I have grandchildren I will be happy.  When I had grandchildren, I realized that I WAS happy, all this time, and my life was filled with happiness. LIFE WAS A JOURNEY OF HAPPINESS. And when it is added up, it is JOY.
I truly believe that JOY is what we are all searching for. For me, tobacco no longer adds to that joy, it takes from it.  It takes my breath, it takes my sense of smell, it takes my self-respect, and it takes my LIFE… That, my dear, is resolve!
Smile. It makes it MUCH easier!
And good luck to you!
JW

********


I have to make a confession.
Posted by Heather Dawn on March 05 at 15:07:17
Hi Friends,
I hope you are all feeling well today.  I have a little problem... I didn't want to post this on the Board because there are so many newbies. I didn't want to discourage them.  One day I'm saying, “Oh yeah, it gets better “ and then I go through three hellish days wanting nothing more than to grab a pack - and all this with more than two months behind me. Like I said I feel bad about posting this but I needed to tell someone and I also need support because I'm really struggling.
Well, last night I was sitting at the computer and I'm not sure why but I snapped.  My cravings certainly were nowhere near what I went through successfully at three weeks.  Last night though, it was like I just got out and out defiant.  It happened quickly.  One moment I was sitting calmly at the computer the next moment an "I want a cigarette!” thought just appeared out of nowhere.  Then I thought about all the things I could do to combat that thought, pray, go for a walk, even stick my head outside and breathe deeply.  No way - not last night - I rejected every one of them categorically.  I was really mad and I just said to myself, “This is absolutely ridiculous! I'm having one!” I went out and lit one. I wanted it to taste awful and hurt, so I purposely inhaled really hard.  It didn't hurt at all.  It tasted wonderful.  I still continued to smoke really fast hoping to get disgusted.  That cigarette had a heater on it almost as long as the cigarette itself and… I enjoyed every moment of it.  The only effect was a couple seconds of lightheadedness.
What’s worse is I didn't even feel guilty.  My attitude was and still is that I wanted it and I chose to have it.  I'm a little concerned that I may do it again though.  I chose to do this, but if I choose to do it again my quit will be lost in no time - of that I'm certain.  So I finished the cigarette and vowed that in order to keep my quit I have to promise myself I won't have another one for at least two months. (I'm hoping by then I won't want one.)
This did not upset me like my unconscious slip did.  (During an extremely stressful day two weeks earlier Heather Dawn found herself in her kitchen with a cigarette she had lit without realizing it.  See chapter 9 for her post and the group's response.)  That one wasn't fair but this one I knew exactly what I was doing, and it was a choice I made. I've also made the choice to continue to quit and be committed to achieving a smoke-free life.  I'm obviously having a real struggle and need support, but I didn't want to post to the Board because it would be so discouraging for the newbies.  I’m really sorry if it is…
I considered not saying anything at all, but my conscience will not allow that. I'd feel like a fraud.  So I'm telling you because I’m hoping that those more secure in their quit will be able to steer me down the right path.  I'm curious why I can get through the mental and physical horrendous cravings but not the mild sense of deprivation I continually feel now.  I think it has something to do with the fact that you have to do battle for so long you just plain and simply grow weary of the battle.
Please help if you can…
Heather
Two months, four days, 15 hours, 8 minutes and 57 seconds. 1590 cigarettes not smoked, saving $318.15. Life saved: 5 days, 12 hours, 30 minutes.

My Dear Little HD....
Posted by Joyce on March 05 at 15:33:57
In reply to: I have to make a confession. Posted by Heather Dawn on March 05 at 15:07:17
I know from past experience that a thought can get stuck in your head that you really need that cig and that life will never be right without it and you just won't be happy unless you smoke it.  It is extremely hard to get that thought out of your brain without following through with it. Your addiction told you, "Oh, what the heck - I want it and I'm gonna smoke it!"
I’ve been there before Heather Dawn and a few quits were ruined because those thoughts were so stuck in my brain.  Smoking will always be a personal choice for everyone, and from being here with you from the very beginning, I really believe down deep you want to quit, but you also have had a lot to deal with. If you decide to smoke again or break this quit, you most likely will want to quit all over again, and it may take quite a long time until you get the courage up again. This is so hard, and I have been down this road too many times to look back. I still fight it, Heather Dawn.  I will always want to sit back and relax with a smoke, but while I'm sitting there smoking, I will also want to be quit at the same time - and I'll also be scared to death it might finally be too late. I have all this stuff so backed up in my brain from previous quits, that it has been extremely helpful when those really bad times hit now.
Please don't be so hard on yourself, because this addiction will try to work its way back into your life anyway it can - this addiction is so powerful. I'm sending prayers and hugs your way to give you strength in making the right decision at this time in your life...
This damned addiction will always be calling my name... I am just feeling stronger at the moment to fight it.  We're here for you anytime, and we love you dearly!
{{{{{{HUGS TO YOU MY FRIEND}}}}}}}}
Love ya,
Joyce

Posted by Michael on March 05 at 16:21:39
In reply to: I have to make a confession. Posted by Heather Dawn on March 05 at 15:07:17
Hi Heather Dawn,
Ok… What is it that YOU want to hear?   I'm not exactly sure what you're expecting, but I have to tell you that I don't think you're quite getting the whole spectrum of our addiction.  Now first let me say that what I'm going to write to you comes from my heart, because I love you for what you are, a warm, funny, kind person who happens to be an addict.
Let's start right there... You, Heather Dawn, are an addict - plain and simple.  You have an addict set of genes and you are prone to addiction.  Okay, so you fed that addiction for a bunch of years.  Now you're tired of being a slave, tired of killing yourself slowly, tired of smelling like an ashtray, tired of all the shit that goes along with feeding your addiction.  So you stop feeding your addiction - good for you.  But guess what?  You, Heather Dawn, are still an addict.  Sucks, doesn't it.  Here we are - we give up smoking, something we really enjoy, we get healthier, we don't stink any more... BUT WE STILL ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE ADDICTS! ! !  You know what?  I hate that part with every ounce of my being.  It hurts me to the bottom of my soul that I can't do what I want to do because I am prone to any kind of addictive behavior.  How the hell are we supposed to live our lives like that?  It would be SO MUCH EASIER to just say, "Screw it!" and go and enjoy the addiction we've grown to love.
Wait - the flip-side - we give in to the addiction - we get sick - we die prematurely, painfully, and in agonizingly slow fashion - THAT is something I don't want.  That is something I don't want so bad that I'm willing to do whatever it takes to control my addictive personality.  I have taken responsibility for my addiction, and I have chosen to NOT feed it.  Yup, I've had some close calls, but I have chosen to NOT feed my addiction, no matter how painful that may be. 
Heather Dawn, let me fill you in on a little secret.  I would like nothing better than to have a cigarette RIGHT NOW.  I love smoking. I love playing with the cigarette.  I love Zippo lighters.  I love the instantaneous fleeting nicotine rush you get from that first drag.  I love sucking the smoke deep into my lungs.  I have chosen to improve my quality of life though by facing the fact that I'm an addict who DOESN'T WANT TO BE ONE!  I can't change that I AM one, but I don't have to feed the damn addiction.  THAT is my choice just as it is yours.  It’s almost too simple to be as hard as it really is…
God… Grant me the Serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
Courage To change the things I can, and
Wisdom To know the difference.
Heather, you know I don't pussyfoot around, I tell it like I see it, and right now I see you heading down a bad path.  That you enjoyed that smoke is understandable, but I think you have to distinguish between the joy and the pain.  You can’t have one without the other when it comes to addiction.  Joy and pain walk hand in hand for the addict. 
You're still VERY EARLY in your quit.  Ride it out, relearn daily activities to NOT include the feeding of addictions.  It DOES get easier, but it takes a lot of time, energy and hard work.  As a matter of fact, it is the hardest thing you'll EVER do in your life, but it is SO worth it.
I love you Heather Dawn… Don't smoke…
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!


Since ya did...
Posted by Wayne on March 05 at 16:45:10
In reply to: I have to make a confession. Posted by Heather Dawn on March 05 at 15:07:17
Heather Dawn,
I think we each have to do this our own way and cannot know what that is ahead of time. For some it's getting through some circumstance without reaching for a cig, for others it may be disgust with people who are close that still use, or it might be dealing with someone close that has a dreaded disease. Let this be a learning experience and steel your resolve. For me even those feelings (of wanting one) helped, because the experience made me angry that the drug had re-wired my brain to that extent, and I wasn't going to let it win.
The other part you know.  It doesn't change you in our eyes, we care for you as before. We want your success, and as much as we love to share in it, we don't want it for us… We want it for you.
Wishing you a calm spirit,
Wayne
- 7m 4d


My dear friend…
Posted by Mark on March 05 at 16:59:50
In reply to: I have to make a confession. Posted by Heather Dawn on March 05 at 15:07:17
Let me repeat that… My dear friend... We are all in this together, and we are here to support each other. I know that in my three weeks I have read a hundred of your posts (if not more), many inspirational, some funny and some... well just some others. They have all helped me in my quit.
Believe it or not, your slip helps me maintain my quit - therefore I want and even need to know about it. When you or someone else has slipped, and you raise it on this Board, you have just helped me again to maintain my quit, and perhaps those of others. You see, it reminds me of how close I am to smoking, reminds me to keep my guard up, and points out triggers I need to watch for.  Thanks.
Let me just reiterate something my dear friend.  Well, so you had a smoke - big deal - maybe just testing.  I've said this before, but it really is my best example - drinking.  I am an alcoholic, quit drinking some seven years ago. Sometimes I see my buds having a beer, and having fun, and I say to myself, aah, maybe just one. As soon as I say that, my brain automatically plays back a movie I have seen a thousand times.  It includes many stupidities, embarrassing moments, some gut wrenching emotional and physical pain, and my family. Furthermore, I am immediately reminded that my one drink will quickly become 10 or 20, and I will no longer be having fun like my buddies.  Then it's over, the craving is gone, it has just been overcome by sensibility and reality. That movie is now automatic, but it wasn’t always that way.  I used to have to remember to turn it on, but with practice, it became automatic.
I am working on a new one for smoking. It's gonna take a lot of practice, but hopefully it will become automatic as well. (So when I say I have movies playing in my head, I really do!)  I scan the list of benefits, and weigh it against the costs of having just one, then I associate just one to a pack or two per day.  I think of a slow painful death, and I again think of my family. Doesn’t work real well right now, but hopefully sooner or later it will.  I also try to identify the trigger and how I got into this junkie thinking mode, so that I hopefully avoid it next time.
Hang in there, Heather Dawn, you have some real good time behind you, and easier times are ahead. Keep working at it, and use us. Be selfish, that’s how it works.
Take care,
Mark


Encouragement for Heather Dawn
Posted by Benita on March 05 at 19:37:31
My dear, dear Heather Dawn - the SAME Heather Dawn that sent ME encouragement! I was not able to read your post below due to some posting problem, but I've deduced you smoked a cigarette.
If you slipped on some water and fell down, what would you do? You would get up and walk. Dear Heather Dawn, get up and walk, Honey, and hold your head up HIGH! You have had a set back but you WILL heal just like before and you CAN still remain quit. It was only one? If not, throw the rest of them away and start again - and start again - I repeat - and start again. I made the same mistake before, only my worst mistake after slipping in my second month was to wait over six months to try and quit again.
There will be more rough days, but I promise, as God is my witness, it does get easier and the ride smoothes out. We love you no matter what! Now let's get to work, Heather! I love you friend!
Benita
Three months, one week, four days, 20 hours, 58 minutes and 32 seconds. 2596 cigarettes not smoked, saving $333.69. Life saved: 1 week, 2 days, 20 minutes.

********

I AM READY NOW!
Posted by Lisa on November 25 at 09:22:43
Well after 12 days of sheer hell and self-deception I am resetting my meter to zero! I realize now that I have only been fooling myself by dipping into the cookie jar (I mean poison jar).  I jumped into this quit rather impulsively following a health scare (although I've known for years that it needed to be done!) without any real plan. I knew I HAD to quit smoking but still didn't really want to!  I stuck to it only because of the great support on this Board and because I didn't want to let my loved ones down. I have NEVER stuck to a quit for more than two days, so these 12 days have really convinced me what an addiction smoking is and how I cannot sneak one every now and then!
So now I can say with conviction that I WANT THIS DRUG OUT OF MY SYSTEM A.S.A.P! No more puffs, no more patches, and no more self-pity! I am an ex-smoker and am glad to be rid of cigarettes FOREVER!  I AM NOT missing out on anything!  It is the poor smoker that is missing out on EVERYTHING! I will see this withdrawal period as my body repairing itself and not as self-torture as I have for the past two weeks.  So go ahead Nico-Scum… MAKE MY DAY and hit me with your best shot! (Just not for too long, please!)
Lisa

********


I FAILED
Posted by Michelle E on January 20 at 10:38:42
Hi Everyone,
What is wrong is I failed.  I was almost at two weeks and now I must start over.  I can't quit crying.  My stomach is in knots.  The Board is blurry.  I was at work yesterday, but not the same job I usually have.  I only work there once in a while when needed.  It was a very, very slow day.  I couldn't get on the Board.
The cigarettes were right by me.  I fought for five hours and then caved.  I was just so tired, and all I needed was just one drag.  No, I didn't want to.  Yes, I did.  Does this make any sense?  I am shaking.  It is so hard to type.  I have to go to work in five minutes.  Please pray for me.
Anyway, after I got the cigarettes and lit one, I decided I didn't want them. Last night I took them to my sister’s and gave them to her.  I am so sorry to have failed everyone. Please forgive me.
Michelle


Posted by Heather Dawn on January 20 at 11:02:43
In reply to: I FAILED Posted by Michelle E on January 20 at 10:38:42
There have been many times when I have almost done it, too. It could easily have been me. Michelle, the sad thing about a slip is it tends to play a mental trick on you. It makes you think you will never be able to quit and stay quit, which is just not true! It takes most smokers seven times to quit for good. My hat is off to you. If I had taken a drag I would have felt terrible and promptly smoked a pack or more and then felt, "Well it’s too late now - might as well just keep on smoking."  You didn't do that... I'm so proud of you... You don't start over... Leave your meter where it is... One tiny little slip does not destroy all that you have accomplished... Just keep on going... We all know you’re going to make it.
Hugs to you, and have a good day.
Heather


Posted by Terrie on January 20 at 11:03:49
In reply to: I FAILED Posted by Michelle E on January 20 at 10:38:42
Oh baby... I'm so sorry to hear that. You’re not the only one on this Board that this has happened to, believe me, I know. Instead of feeling bad about this, learn from it.  Pick yourself up and start again.  If cold turkey is too much, and it was for me, then use some kind of help.  Maybe talk to your doctor about some of the options that would be good for you.  I didn't want to use the patches because I thought it was cheating, but then realized that this isn't a game.  It wasn't cheating if it was going to help me save my own life.
The aids out there are tools to use for the job specified, to quit smoking. If you really want this, Honey, get it by whatever means it takes.
Take care,
Terrie


Posted by Debbie on January 20 at 11:17:45
In reply to: I FAILED Posted by Michelle E on January 20 at 10:38:42
First off, you DID NOT FAIL! We don't fail around here - we screw up or slip, but we do not fail. You don't have to start all over again. One smoke is not going to ruin what took you two weeks to accomplish. Now, get your shit together, put a smile on that face and tell the NICO-SCUM to get the hell away from you and stay away. If you have a meter, take a day off of it, not the whole time. WE HAVE ALL SLIPPED A TIME OR TWO. You're not unique to that! It's what you do with the experience that counts.


Posted by Michael on January 20 at 13:43:35
In reply to: Re: I FAILED Posted by Michelle E on January 20 at 10:38:42
Hi Michelle,
Looks like everybody else took care of the serious side of getting you back up and running, so I think it's only fitting that we put a smile back on your face as well. What follows is something I wrote to a friend about a year ago in the same situation... You definitely did NOT blow it… Here’s why:
Only quitting quitters quit quitting.  Since you plan on quitting again with a fresh quit date, you can't possibly be a quitting quitter because if you were a quitting quitter you would have quit quitting, which you haven't.  If you hadn't set a date for a new quit you would be a quitting quitter, but quit dates are not set by quitting quitters and therefore you are a quitter who will quit on her quit date and will leave the quitting quitters to go hang out with other quitting quitters… I think  J
Smiling yet? J
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********

Can't keep my quit…
Posted by Ben on April 08 at 20:22:24
After three days, I had a cigarette - several. Checking... actually most of a pack. What the hell? I'd been mildly craving for a few days, but nothing major.  Nothing like during the supposedly one and only quit (for a month!) about a month ago.  The problem is, I just don't have the self-control that I did on my big quit.  I really wish I hadn't had that first one, because it's just had a totally negative effect on me.  Now I know I can quit - there's no dreading it - so I feel less like sticking to it.  I need to come up with some psychological mechanism to help this stick.
Worst of all (not that this is an excuse) my girlfriend smokes in the house occasionally again.  Not much, but it's not a help either.  Between that and my total lack of motivation to quit, it's just too easy to drop the ball.  I'm thinking of asking her to quit, but we just don't make demands on each other much, and I feel like I ought to be able to resist on my own.
Damn - I don't even feel like a failure - it kind of felt like it was just a matter of time since Monday before I had had one anyway.  Where did all that willpower that got me through the quit last month go? And why oh why did I not keep quitting when I had a month under me?
It's got to happen - I still can't believe that I'm smoking again, even if only sporadically. I just don't seem to have the inner strength that I did before. Anybody want to share some inner strength?
Feeling woeful,
Ben

Posted by Simone on April 08 at 21:27:11
In reply to: Can't keep my quit... Posted by Ben on April 08 at 20:22:24
Dear Ben,
There are lots and lots of ways to keep the urges at bay - trust me. It's taken everything in my power to keep from picking up a cigarette over the past nine weeks.  I've whined, tried to convince myself that I'll have one later, gotten pissed off, played mental games, gone and done something constructive - the works. I find myself rationalizing having a smoke all the time, and the only thing that can stop me is myself. That is to say, mindset is everything. Nothing else will stand between you and a cigarette.
I found that I could never tell myself that smoking is not an option. It felt too restrictive. When I tried telling that to myself, I immediately felt rebellious and repressed, and my chances of smoking increased. If you take it from the standpoint that you will quit until you really can't quit any more, you may have better chances of maintaining the quit. Does this make sense?
Please, Ben, don't give up. You can do this. So, you're in a slump - it will pass - hold on and breathe deep.  Oh, and ask your girlfriend to smoke outside if it's risky for your quit. This isn't about you making demands - this is about her respecting your needs and your health.
Big hugs - feel free to e-mail if you need to rant, rave, ramble, etc.
Simone

********

"Help, please," Elizabeth mumbled as she sheepishly hung her head...
Posted by Elizabeth on March 15 at 14:42:15
Hi everybody,
No, I didn't drop off the face of the earth, I just fell into the clutches of the Nicodemon. Saturday at work was stressful (as usual) and I was very tired. I bought a pack of cigarettes - and another yesterday. I just smoked the last one. I am really fighting with myself right now about buying the third pack. I don't want to go through the withdrawals again, but I know it’s inevitable. I can't afford to buy more patches, and gum doesn't work as well. It was so easy to smoke after all the time (just about five weeks) that I had been quit - just that easy.
One of the things that contributed to my relapse was being away from the Board, which started during my vacation last week. I thought about my quit less and eventually let down my guard. My asthma had finally started to get better, which made it easier to start again, too. Oh, I know I'm rambling. I feel hopeless. Like - why is it that you all are making it and I am not? Whine, whine, whine - and the Nicodemon is whispering to me right now "Just go get a pack and quit worrying about it - you can quit again tomorrow."
HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY BACKBONE?

Hey Elizabeth!
Posted by JW on March 15 at 15:54:39
In reply to: "Help, please," Elizabeth mumbled as she sheepishly hung her head... Posted by Elizabeth on March 15 at 14:42:15
Decide what YOU want to do! Be a smoker or be smoke-free!  Make your choice.  If you choose to smoke, you can:
1.      Buy cigarettes every day (the price is going up, remember, so affording the patch isn't really an issue.  The patches are WAY cheaper in the long run!)
2.      Cough in the mornings - every morning (that is the one thing my kid said has really changed - I am not in the shower busting my lungs in the mornings anymore!)
3.      Put new cigarette burns on your car and clothes and furniture.
4.      Worry about getting emphysema as you get older.
5.      Worry about heart disease and stroke caused by high blood pressure.
6.      Worry about loved ones around you inhaling second hand smoke.
7.      Buy LOTS of inhalers for asthma from now on.
8.      Go outside to smoke when you could be doing something productive.
Hey, I've got lots of 'em, but you get the picture!  Why couldn't you make it? Good question, but one that only you can answer. That is what you have to find out!  Backbone? It takes some of that, yeah, but knowledge is key. Knowledge about yourself, who you are, what you really want in your life, what truly makes you happy.  A cigarette might make you feel temporarily better, but what about long term, both physical health and mental attitude about yourself?  Brute force willpower (backbone, as you might call it) only lasts a short time. Knowledge lasts a lifetime.  There are ways of gaining this knowledge. It takes time. This is not something that happens overnight!
Please go to the Nicotine Anonymous web site. Read about the Serenity Prayer and the 12-step program. Then START them! I cannot tell you how much help they can be.  Start by eliminating JUNKIE THINKING (excuses to smoke) like “I can't afford the Patch” (cigarettes are definitely more expensive!), “My life isn't going well right now” (smoking never changes that for the better, either), “I felt bad” (yeah, so, get in line!).  Then accept the fact that you crave a cigarette and find the courage to let that craving pass even if it is uncomfortable for a while, because it will pass.
This is an ADDICTION. You don't cure it. You control it… for the rest of your life. One way is to face it and deal with it. The other way is to smoke.  It is your choice!  My choice is to deal with it and make my life better and happier!  You have the option to make that choice, too, if you want to.
Smile. Life is wonderful.
JW

Thanks JW...
Posted by Elizabeth on March 15 at 20:00:33
In reply to: Re: Hey Elizabeth! Posted by JW on March 15 at 15:54:39
Well, I CHOSE to quit again, after the post. No sense in wasting any more of my health, money, or time on cigarettes. I AM going to beat this addiction. The Board helps tremendously. I think being away from it was a big contributor to my relapse. I’ll know better next time. Thanks for your support.
Elizabeth

********


I must never forget I was a nicotine addict,
I'm still an addict, but I don't use nicotine,
One day at a time…


                                                Mary Clare – December 1997