Thursday, January 15, 2015

Epilogue

It has now been more than four years since I began my fight against the addiction.  During that time, which I often refer to as my evolutionary period, I have not just become an ex-smoker, but, more importantly, I have grown in my outlook on life as a whole.  My involvement in the support group continues almost on a daily basis, because giving back has become a way of life.  I’ve tried several times to leave the group, but I’m always drawn back to it.  I believe this stems from the fact that I have accepted that I am and always will be an addict.  I am quite confident in my quit now, but the addict mind, as you probably already know, is a very complex and conniving entity that can wreak havoc on your life if it is not continually controlled and maintained.  The best way I know to keep that control is to remain involved in smoking cessation.
            The past four years in the support group Blairsville (QuitSmokingSupport.com) have shown me the wonder and satisfaction of helping others in need.  It is through this group that I have also learned how to nurture my own self.  To that end, I have taken up cycling, which has grown to be a very important part of my new life.  Last year I rode more than 2200 miles – many of them at charity events, many others just because I could.  You see, four years ago I could barely bend over to tie my shoes without getting winded.  Now I can ride a Century, which is 100 miles in one day. The repair and healing my body has undergone since quitting smoking has been amazing to me, which is why I share it with you.
            A smoke-free life can be yours as well. You know the old saying: If I can do it, so can you.  Well, that saying is not just idle chatter – it’s the truth!  Four years ago I had no idea how wonderful life can be. Now, as an ex-smoker, I have seen true beauty rise from behind the smoke-screen… and you know what?  I’m never letting go.
            Do whatever it takes to maintain your quit… endure the pain of physical withdrawal… embrace cravings as part of the healing process… use your brainpower to fight the demon instead of letting him control you through junkie thinking…
            Live life… it’s yours for the taking!

                                                                        Peace,
                                                                        Michael

                                                                        Fight the Good Fight!