Thursday, January 15, 2015

Chapter 13 - Guarded Freedom

          The one-year mark is an extremely important event in the life of an ex-smoker.  It is at this point that strong feelings of freedom and accomplishment manifest themselves.  A life without cigarettes is now an attainable goal.  In the support group, a party is held in honor of the member reaching the one-year mark, and he/she is bestowed the honorable title of Old Fogey.  The new Old Fogey is asked to make a speech (bulletin board post) sharing feelings and emotions about the accomplishment.  This is intended to serve as inspiration and encouragement to those members who are just starting out.  What follows is my speech to the group posted the morning of my first anniversary.


One Year!!!
Posted by Michael on September 12 at 08:12:37
One year… It almost seems like it’s not real, like it was just yesterday that my daily routine included the phrase “Pack o’ Parliament Box, please.” But I know all too well that it has been 365 days or 8760 hours or 525,600 minutes etc, etc…
One year… I’m celebrating freedom from smoking, yet only the last three months or so have shown the great life change I was looking for.  This summer I went to Vegas without smokes, went camping without smokes, countless family day trips without smokes, had our annual big BBQ without smokes, even went to a couple weddings and funerals without smokes.  Through it all, I’ve noticed that my wife, two sons and I have become more of a family.  By that I mean I have learned to focus on them instead of smoking.  We do more together because I don’t have to leave them every 30 minutes to smoke.  We even play board games for hours now without interruption.  It’s so hard to put this into words - the best way to say it is:  Not smoking feels GOOD!
One year… I know in my heart that I am free from cigarettes and that I will never smoke again, but I also know that I will always be an addict.  I don’t care what anyone else says, I have an addictive personality and so do most of you.  Research has shown that there IS in fact a gene that makes us more prone to addiction.  The key word though is prone.  Being prone to addiction means you could be addicted to anything given the right circumstances.  Booze, drugs, smokes - they’re all in the same family for the addict.  We just happen to focus on smokes here.  If we took a poll, though, I bet that there are a bunch of us that are, or were, addicted to booze as well.  Why is it that AA meetings are always taking place in a thick cloud of cigarette smoke?  It’s because the alcoholics are still feeding their addictive personality, just with a different chemical.  I too am still feeding my addictive person.  Although I’m not using chemicals, it’s the PC and the support group that I’m addicted to.  It’s good and bad at the same time - good because giving and receiving support keeps me smoke-free.  The bad part is that computer time also takes me away from my wife and kids.  That’s a big reason for me cutting back on my posts as of late.
One year… The word pride comes to mind.  I have accomplished something very big here, and for that I am damn proud.  It is something that a year ago was an unattainable goal, yet I have done it.  Though I received help and support from many, it was me who did not smoke for the last twelve months - me, the addict.  I have fought my addiction and I have won.  It is the addict who has the power to stay clean.  Some people rely on a Higher Power to stay quit, but I believe in the power of the human brain.  Relearning life without smokes and fighting the battle with every ounce of brainpower we have - not smoking NO MATTER WHAT - fighting the good fight… You all know my slogans.  They remain with me as reminders of my accomplishment and of days when I would sit at my PC mumbling them amongst the curses…
One year… The first step to a better future.  My father died at age 52 from his third heart attack brought on by booze and smokes.  A few short weeks ago my friend Bud Ellis died of emphysema and complications after lung reduction surgery.  Damn, this addiction sucks.  I am an addict and will always be an addict, but I refuse to die because of it!  It is my choice as it is yours to NOT smoke.  Next time an urge comes around, think of death as an alternative to a short mental struggle - then make the choice to pick up or not.
One year… Time to party!!!  Sorry the post turned out so serious… J  I really am celebrating today, but it’s hard for me to let go of the newbies and their struggles and how easy it is to slip and on and on and on…  So on that note, let me just close with my usual - no, wait - one more thing:
I just have to say how much you all mean to me.  This support group is made up of the most caring, thoughtful and just plain wonderful people I have ever known.  Thank you to each and every one of you for all you have given me over the past year.  I truly love you all!
…Ok, that’s it!  J
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!
I have been quit 1 year, 7 hours, 54 minutes and 43 seconds.
I have NOT smoked 7306 cigarettes, saving $858.52.
By quitting I have added 3 weeks, 4 days, 8 hours and 50 minutes to my life.

September 12th marks my second anniversary of freedom from smoking.  Words cannot begin to describe the wide range of emotions I'm experiencing.  If I were to make a list, though, it would be topped by words like joy, elation and, most importantly, pride.  I have accomplished something that I never thought possible.  I have learned that it is possible to be an addict and NOT feed my addiction.  Many crises and stress situations have come and gone over the last two years, ranging from simple things like missed appointments to dealing with a severely dysfunctional family history.  Two years ago any one of the crises would have caused me to reach for a smoke.  As a member of the support group I've learned that is entirely possible to separate the act of smoking from crisis/stress management.
            Unfortunately, as an addict, I still harbor affection for smoking.  Setting the physical addiction to nicotine and the health hazards aside, I can honestly say that I used to really enjoy smoking.  It was something fun, mysterious, and even somewhat rebellious as more and more people frowned on smoking.  There was something about playing with fire that was intriguing and mildly exciting every time a cigarette was lit.
            I believe it is this love for the act of smoking that may cause an ex-smoker of one or more years to pick up again.  Consequently, the freedom we attain by quitting smoking must always be guarded.  "Once an addict…always an addict” That saying rings true now more than ever.  There are times now when having a cigarette seems like it would be really nice.   You know, the one you have while kicking back on the deck at sunset with friends and a few drinks…  When those thoughts come I start to chuckle at myself.  It amazes me that after two years my mind still thinks that way.  I then calmly remind myself that I am an addict as well as an ex-smoker, and the thought becomes a fleeting memory.
            Those same thoughts may still appear in stressful situations or during crises.  It is during these times that you must be even more diligent about guarding the freedom, because often during crisis the mind will more readily accept and rationalize junkie thinking.  Remember always that smoking is a crisis in and of itself, not a remedy for one.
            Quitting smoking and learning to guard the newfound freedom for the rest of your life is by far the hardest thing you will ever do.  There is no job or family challenge that could ever match the intensity of a quit. Sharing your quit with a support group, be it online or otherwise, improves your chance of success immensely.  Taking a helping hand from a complete stranger may be intimidating at first, but the support and encouragement that is found in a group of fellow ex-smokers is well worth the risk.  Join a support group today if you want to improve your chances at beating this addiction. 
Don't quit smoking alone!

*******


                        I have fought the good fight,
                                    I have finished my course; I have kept the faith…


                                                                                    2 Timothy 4:7