Thursday, January 15, 2015

Chapter 4 - How Long Does This Take?

          Newcomers to the support group are usually somewhat shy in their attempts to gain acceptance by regular members.  This is not surprising, considering that by joining the support group we are actually asking others for help.  The realization that we cannot fight this addiction on our own can be scary in and of itself.  Asking for help is not something that comes easy for most people, especially when it relates to areas of the mind.  This is further compounded by the reality that today’s society teaches us to fix and resolve problems, conflicts and frustrations as quickly as possible.  The exploration of feelings and emotions is often looked upon as a sign of weakness.  We are taught to deal with the problem at hand in a swift and decisive manner, find a solution and then move on. 
            Many smokers will bring this line of thinking with them when they join the support group. Quite often their first question after introducing themselves will be, “How long does this take?” or, “When will I feel better?” or, “When will I be over the addiction?”  Unfortunately, due to the fact that the act of smoking is mostly a mental addiction, a quick fix is just not possible.  Our addiction develops and evolves over many years, often decades, and it is not something that can be turned off by just flipping a mental switch. 
Read on to see how other ex-smokers responded to these questions and how they explain what you can expect in the months ahead.






What’s going on here?
Posted by Brenda J on January 4 at 13:07:48
Hi Gang,
I have been quit a month already and I have to say I don’t see the monumental improvements everybody’s talking about.  Does it get any better after a month?  What exactly can I expect?  Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks, Brenda

Posted by Michael on January 4 at 17:20:03
In reply to: What’s going on here? Posted by Brenda J on January 4 at 13:07:48
Hi Brenda,
First of all you can expect your entire life to get better, but I must tell you that the 'better' actually comes at a snail's pace. It makes sense in a way though, if you compare the decades of your life when you were a smoker to the one month that you have been quit. By now you are completely rid of the physical addiction, so what you're experiencing now is a mind-game.
You are in fact in a grieving process, because you have lost something that was extremely precious to you, namely the act of smoking. You are no longer physically addicted to nicotine or any of the other chemicals in smokes.  What you're really yearning for is either the act and all the little niceties that go with it (I still miss my Zippo lighter), or you are looking for a smoke in order to temporarily escape from a crisis - could be ANY size. With that in mind, what you really need to do is consciously relearn all the activities that once included smoking... Like driving, eating, TV, PC time, reward for a job completed, leaving a building...  Every time you do one of those things now something seems to be missing, right? Let go what is missing, Brenda, it never belonged there in the first place.
What's to come in the months ahead? Probably more crying, self doubt, and the ever-present question, "Is it really worth it?"  Anything and everything your mind can come up with to end the grief by getting you to pick up, it will throw your way. Fight it on its own terms, Brenda.  Consciously teach your mind that something like driving a car was not invented with the cigarette smoker in mind. It was invented as a means of transportation. Cigarettes have no place in that picture. Say that to yourself in any situation that used to include smokes.
Focus on the good things to come in the months ahead.  Springtime is just around the corner, which you'll be able to enjoy more intensely as an ex-smoker.  Your lung capacity will increase immensely, and most importantly a sense, no, a strong feeling of goodness and pride will build in you that you may have never felt before. Beating this addiction is the biggest rush you can imagine, but like I said earlier, the rewards come at a snail's pace.
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********

When does it get physically normal (cold turkey)?
Posted by Ben on March 30 at 21:11:08
Just a shade under six days into a cold turkey quit, and I'm going to make it!  Still, I'm getting curious. When do I feel normal? I'm feeling a whole lot better today than I was on day one or two. When, though, am I going to not be totally preoccupied with the quit anymore?  There aren't 15 minutes, heck, not even five minutes that go by when I don't think about either a) my quit or b) having a cigarette.
Obviously, it isn't always like this; otherwise, no one would ever quit. So, sages and seers who've got more time in this than I do, what kind of time frame are we committed newbies looking forward to? Because while I know I'm going to make it through this, It would sure be great to know how long until I start feeling at least a little normal again.
Thanks in advance,
Ben

Posted by Lisa on March 30 at 21:25:18
In reply to: When does it get physically normal (cold turkey)? Posted by Ben on March 30 at 21:11:08
Hey Ben,
Excellent question! I worried about the exact same thing in the beginning. I wish I could give you a magical date, but it is happening more gradually with me. During my first week, I obsessed about them 24/7 - and I mean that, because even when I was asleep, I was often dreaming that I was smoking - very scary until one realizes it's just a dream. Gradually, though, I'm finding there are fewer and fewer triggers for me - and when I do get cravings, I can dismiss them more easily.
I'm at four weeks - on Sunday at 11:15PM - and no longer think about one when I first get up, or just before I go to bed, or when driving the car, or when I'm busy at work, etc. In fact, I'm finding it's down to when I'm feeling sad, mad or anxious - or when I'm around alcohol - or when I'm waiting for something.  Luckily, that doesn't happen too often.
You're doing great! 
Lisa

********

Still hanging by a thread?
Posted by Eve on February 21 at 21:34:12
Hi Gang,
I hate to do this again, but I NEED HELP! Here I am still hanging by a thread not knowing exactly what is keeping me from buying a pack. WHEN WILL THIS STOP? I honestly don't know how much longer I can continue this and remain smoke-free if I don't find relief soon! I do the water, and the breathing, and milk and peppermint patties and keep myself busy.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO TO EASE THIS!
In the past when I have been to this point, the only thing that kept me from smoking was this Board so I'm asking again for help.  I know I don't really want to smoke yet some part of me thinks I REALLY DO!
I am getting better at asking for help - there's a breakthrough!  Jeepers, Gang!  I don't want to blow this!  And I feel like I might blow it... I want to live and I want to give this NON-SMOKING LIFESTYLE a chance... It has been 1M 1W 5D 22h 47m and 25s.  I have NOT smoked 791 cigs and have saved $88.21 Life Saved  2D 17h 55m.  I really don't want to blow this and start all over. What do I DO?
Help please,
Eve

Posted by Tommyboy on February 21 at 21:58:06
In reply to: Still hanging by a thread? Posted by Eve on February 21 at 21:34:12
Eve,
WHOA, STOP, BACK UP, and think of anything but this stinkin’ thinkin’! Those stinking death sticks that you have worked so very hard to stay away from are not the answer to this dilemma! I am not familiar with your particular quit and what aids, if any, you are using. I am using nearly every legal thing I can get my paws on.  I forgot my Wellbutrin yesterday and nearly crashed and burned! If you're up to it, I suggest PRAYER right now and A LOT OF IT! Go offline for a while, open a WordPad sheet, and write the Serenity Prayer over and over until the urge passes. It will pass and then you can continue.
SMOKING IS NOT AN OPTION!  You, like every other addict here (myself included), are ONE PUFF AWAY FROM A PACK A DAY!  Hang in there!
Tom

Posted by Dee K. on February 21 at 21:53:06
In reply to: Still hanging by a thread? Posted by Eve on February 21 at 21:34:12
There is a big part of you doesn't want to smoke. That seems really clear.  Just a question: Are you maybe expecting too much? You say you are doing a lot of things, like the breathing, etc, which is great! And don't stop. But what I mean is are you maybe thinking that because of all the efforts you are making that you should now be all set with this?  I'm wondering because you expect a lot from yourself, since you don't like asking for help as you said.  I can relate to that. Just because you are taking a lot of smart steps to help your quit and you still feel uncomfortable doesn't mean that you are not SUCCEEDING!  So please remember that.
This is not a comfortable thing we are doing, but it does get better.  ALSO remember the part about ACCEPTING.  Don't fight it. Just let it happen.  If you are feeling like you could crawl out of your skin, then accept that feeling and you might be amazed how much you can still accomplish while you are feeling that way. This is how a lot of times have been for me.
Best wishes to you.
Dee K.

********

Cravings after a MONTH?
Posted by Annie on October 7 at 05:13:11
I am reading posts where people are having major withdrawals well after a month! How long do the unbearable cravings last? You guys are scaring me!

Posted by Michael on October 7 at 08:32:19
In reply to: Cravings after a MONTH? Posted by Annie on October 7 at 05:13:11
Hi Annie,
The truth is, Annie, this addiction IS scary.  It is important, however, to understand that the cravings that come after a month of being quit are in no way physical cravings for the drug, but rather mental cravings for the act of feeding our addiction. 
The addiction of smoking goes far deeper than sucking nicotine into our lungs.  It is a ritual that lets us escape from reality, or crisis, or stress, or anger etc.  We know full well that smoking will not solve a problem or crisis, so why then do we turn to it and label it as a craving?  We do so because we need to give a label to our temporary escape.  Going outside to just scream for five minutes because we don't want to deal with life right now wouldn't be a socially acceptable response to crisis. Temporarily escaping from that same crisis by feigning a need for a smoke, on the other hand, barely raises an eyebrow.
After a month of being free of nicotine the act of smoking as a defense or escape mechanism just isn't valid any more.  What we need to do at that point is relearn how to respond to crisis.  Once we consciously teach ourselves new methods of stress/crisis management, fighting the addiction becomes a productive endeavor rather than a personal pity party.  Don't be scared, Annie.  Be strong and be proud of yourself for becoming an ex-smoker!
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********


Need some help…?
Posted by Brooke on February 16 at 08:40:13
My husband and I quit smoking ten days ago. He's taking Zyban, I'm going cold turkey.  We're doing okay leaving the cigarettes alone. We are both recovering alcoholics, so we know a little bit about how to stop addictive behavior... One day at a time!  We've got bigger and better problems now. We're both sick - chest cold, congestion, headaches, and worst of all, severe constipation… Any one else out there experience this when they quit?  The doctor tells us it will pass, but I’m starting to wonder...
Thanks, Brooke


Posted by Michael on February 16 at 12:15:15
In reply to: Need some help…?  Posted by Brooke on February 16 at 08:40:13
Hi Brooke,
The colds are most likely coincidental; it's just that time of year. The constipation, on the other hand, is part of quitting.  Nicotine is a chemical that enhances your digestive system. Your body got used to having that extra little boost in the intestinal tract and eventually depended on it for maintaining regularity. Once you stopped feeding your system nicotine, your digestive system basically went into a tailspin, hence the constipation.
Eat lots of fruit and above all drink lots and lots of water to get you through the next few days and weeks. Eventually your body will realize that the nicotine booster is no longer part of you and will relearn to maintain regularity on its own.  As for the colds, I think chicken soup is still the best... :-) Feel better!
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********

Quitting, Depression and Grief…
Posted by Sherry on January 3 at 00:29:47
Wishing for that magic wand - to wave over Blairsville - to make all the hurt, all the pain, go away. But, the batteries of that magic wand are dead. What we do have is what you might call the "Spirit of Blairsville”.  This spirit is so valuable, so important to my quit. It was here that I learned, absorbed, and accepted this addiction. And I do truly believe that the learning, re-learning we must do... is not just the addiction to the nicotine, but also a learning to live, to reaching for acceptance, of managing the addiction.
In Blairsville, I read much of depression. Of course there is depression! But what a frightening thing to face when quitting! Depression? Me? I've never had this before! Of course you haven't, because the addiction handled the depression! Of course, that is why we smoked! Our addiction isn't just to the nicotine - it's to the delivery system.... the power of that addiction, masking our inner most feelings! So… how am I to cope? With this "security" removed?
The depression, the tears, the rage, the anger... All is a part of "the quit." I've had the experience of working "good grief." And, I do believe, from deep in-side of me, this learning to work that grief, led me to work those same feelings, those same emotions... those same experiences, in my quitting smoking... At last, I came to understand those feelings and those emotions, as a part of this quitting process... and that added strength.
So, I share some stages to be considered in this quitting.... because, quitting an addiction is a process, not an event... You may experience all of these, none of these, or part of them!! There is no order to them... But, sometimes, just knowing these ten stages can help…

Stage 1 - A state of shock - we can somehow bear pain and sorrow and even tragedy. However, when the sorrow is overwhelming, we are sometimes temporarily anesthetized in response to a tragic experience. We are grateful for this temporary anesthesia, for it keeps us from having to face grim reality all at one... Our anesthesia is the euphoria that exists inside of us, with these first few days of quitting!

Stage 2 - We express emotion. This emotional release comes at about the time it begins to dawn upon us how dreadful this "loss" is. Never smoke again? Sometimes without warning, inside of us, is this uncontrollable urge to express our grief, our grief at losing this friend, this lover, this soul-mate, my life. And, what do we need to do? Let those emotions come!!! This is exactly what we ought to do, allow ourselves to express the emotions we actually feel. We have been given tear glands, and we are supposed to use them when we have good reason to use them! Express those emotions in Blairsville. We do understand…

Stage 3 - We feel depressed and very lonely. It is true; no one's quit is exactly like mine, because no two people face the quit the same way. But, the awful experience of being utterly depressed and isolated is a universal phenomenon. Remind yourself, it is to be expected following a significant loss, that such depression is normal and a part of the healthy "quit."

Stage 4 - We may experience physical symptoms of distress. Many of us get sick. Our hostility of "having" to quit, our feelings of guilt, of ever having "started smoking in the first place" - all get intertwined in our feelings. The "quit" becomes an important factor in our illnesses. But, we can't take up where we left off, smoking again. So, we must take a turn at being a philosopher, to search for the meaning to life... for we must learn to live life, as a person who is not smoking.

Stage 5 - We may become panicky. We find ourselves panicky because we can think of nothing but, "I can't smoke ever again!" We try so hard to get our minds off the subject, and perhaps for a moment or two we can be distracted from this worry, but soon we are right back again where we started. Naturally, this hinders our effectiveness in this quit. When people ask us questions, we have to ask them to repeat so often that they wonder what is wrong with us! We simply cannot concentrate. This inability to concentrate is just as natural as it can be. When something has been terribly important to us for a long, long time and it is taken from us, we cannot be expected to do anything but be constantly drawn to this loss and suffer daily as we struggle with the gradually dawning realization that it is gone forever.

Stage 6 - Feeling a sense of guilt. Yep - a feeling of guilt from having smoked for so very long! Maybe it is a neurotic guilt - but - after not smoking for days, weeks, months, years... we feel this guilt of having smoked in the first place!! (Not going any further with this one!)

Stage 7 - Anger and resentment. Gradually we move up out of the depression, and in so doing we may be more able to express some of the strong feelings of anger and resentment of which we may not even have been aware. When we have something precious taken from us we inevitably go through a stage when we are very critical of everything and everyone who was related to the loss. We spare no one in our systematic scrutiny of the event, attempting to understand exactly why this happened, and who is to blame. The human in us is always looking for someone to blame.

Stage 8 - We resist returning. We have ceased some of our “trigger” activities, for this first part of the quit. Now, we may be quite well along in our quit and really want to get back to our usual activities, something inside us may resist returning. Our quitting has been so special and we feel that other people just do not understand how great this quit is! The pace of our lives may have something to do with this. The minute people finish one event they are off to another and another. But, we are in a process, not an event… They want events, we want events… We got process…

Stage 9 - Gradually hope comes through. Now and then, we get a glimpse of the "freedom of the quit" from an experience. This cloud that has been so dark begins to break up, and rays of light come through. We are never quite sure how long it will be before this begins to happen. Some of us do not want anyone "meddling" in our lives to get through this quit. And, some of us need to express our emotions. We keep this warm affection and encouragement of those here, to find other experiences in life can be meaningful again. We joke, we tease, we share dinners, and we share our kids, our hurts, our joys, our lives... and, our "real life" lives.

Stage 10 - We struggle to affirm reality. We finally begin to affirm reality. Please note that I do not say that this is the final stage... that we become our old selves again. When we go through this significant experience, we come out of it as different folks. Depending on our decisions, we embrace our success, our freedom, or, we become smokers once again. Some never completely work through this quitting process, and months and even years later are still fighting battles within themselves... or worse, they’re smoking... As we begin to struggle to affirm reality, we find that we need not be afraid of the real world. We can live in it again, and hope once again becomes a part of our own outlook on life. Though we may continue to struggle, we do affirm reality!

I am convinced of the importance of keeping at the task of nurturing one's quit, because I have seen how such people demonstrate this ‘greatness of keeping the quit,' under trial. On the other side, I now have seen what happens to folks who have not taken the steps to working their quit. It's not over in a few weeks, or even a few months, but rather it’s an ongoing process…
We do realize that life will never be the same again, and for that.... I'm grateful... and I smile! To affirm something is to say that it is good... and quitting smoking is definitely good - the single, most significant experience in my life... the one experience that really makes me beam with joy!
Love ‘ya, Support Group - it works!
Sherry
22+ Months

*******

When one door closes another door opens;
But we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door,
That we do not see the new worlds which open for us.

Alexander Graham Bell