Thursday, January 15, 2015

Chapter 2 - Ramblings of an Addict

          The mind of an addict who is actively feeding an addiction is an extremely complex entity that can be baffling at times.  Reality often becomes so distorted by the need that it almost borders on insanity.  We need only to look at the fundamental paradox of addiction to see the reality in that statement.  When we set aside our junkie mentality, we see full well that our addiction is slowly killing us, yet we continue to feed the beast on a daily basis.
            Becoming an ex-smoker brings a whole new way of thinking to the addict mind.  Many of our thought processes now revolve around new beginnings, emerging feelings and emotions as well as realizations regarding who and what we really are.  As we progress in our quest for freedom, each of us slowly builds a solid belief system that serves as our foundation for gaining control over our addictive personality.  Depending on the individual, this belief system can be based on anything from spirituality to simple stubbornness.
Many ex-smokers will follow the 12-step program, which was originated by Alcoholics Anonymous.  Nicotine Anonymous uses a slightly modified version, but essentially both programs involve letting go of your Earthly misgivings and turning your fate as an addict over to a Higher Power.  Other addicts, me included, choose to look at the addiction through what can be termed as a reality focus.  This line of thinking teaches us to look at our behavior patterns by stepping back, taking an objective look at them, analyzing them and then learning from our actions and the consequences that follow.
            Regardless of how the foundation is built, the end result in the development of an ex-smoker is the same.  After the investment of months of time and energy our originally tentative aspirations eventually evolve into very strong convictions.  These convictions become so ingrained, in fact, that they are almost prophetically shared with the world.  Often this sharing of experience and knowledge seems overbearing to the uninitiated and the person offering to help is viewed as one of those ex-smoker types.  Nothing could be further from the truth. 
            The ex-smoker who has been able to control his addiction for several months finally realizes that it can be done, that actual freedom from smoking is an attainable goal.  A strong sense of urgency is born of this realization and striving to share with others who are struggling becomes an almost uncontrollable desire.  This sharing is what a support group thrives on, people with more time in the group coaching those who are just starting out, holding their hands as they take their first tentative steps toward freedom.
            The urgency to share knowledge and experience often leads to what is lovingly referred to as a rambling.  Mostly written on the spur of the moment, without an outline or editing or re-writes, these ramblings come from the soul.  They are pure, untamed emotion that goes right from the heart to the keyboard.  Their purpose is twofold.  Not only do these ramblings give other group members an insight into the mindset of someone who is further along in the fight; they also serve to strengthen the writer’s resolve as well. 
            The following four of my numerous ramblings were composed and posted to the support group during the first year of my quit.  They have been instrumental in the development of my life as an ex-smoker.




The Reality of my Addiction
  
We all know that smoking is not only unhealthy, but also deadly.  Considering that we kill ourselves just a little bit more with every single puff, it’s hard to understand, especially for the non-smoker, how we can continue to light up day after day after day.  It’s only human nature for non-smokers to feel a form of outrage when they see loved ones killing themselves.  Can we really fault them for nagging us to quit?   I was a smoker for 26 years and that is all I ever heard... It’s bad for you, you're going to die, why do you smoke, why don't you quit etc…etc…etc…
Once we do finally quit smoking and come to realize and deal with the stupidity of our actions, it’s only natural to look for a scapegoat.  Enter…the Cigarette Manufacturers…  In my opinion, many ex-smokers tend to lay too much blame on the cigarette manufacturers - those big bad companies who tricked us and MADE US SMOKE. Yeah right... Ok, so information was kept secret and for years we were told smoking is ok... The companies SHOULD take some responsibility for making an addictive drug so readily available, but did any of the manufacturers ever hold a gun to our heads and force us to smoke?  I don’t quite see it that way.
As long as I can remember, cigarette smoking has been considered unhealthy, something that causes cancer. Did I stop? No, of course not. Now just think about that for a minute... For 26 YEARS I knew that I was doing something to kill myself. At an average of a pack a day I smoked close to 200,000 cigarettes in my lifetime. That's just insanity that I can't see blaming anyone but myself for.
What I'm getting at is this: The addiction is mine. I know I have an addictive personality. I almost became a practicing alcoholic, but thank God I realized what was happening to me while helping my sister through rehab and stopped. If I play cards or go to the track, I usually can't stop until the wallet is empty. I am an addict. I have surrendered myself to that fact and have accepted my addiction for what it is, an addiction. Nothing more, nothing less. It is mine and nobody else’s.
It is not my dad's fault that I wanted to copy him as a teenager. It is not my friends' fault because they exerted peer pressure for me to be cool. It is not the cigarette manufacturer's fault for making cigarettes available for sale.  It is my fault for continuing to smoke even after knowing it would kill me. I quit a thousand times mostly for reasons that were stupid and mostly lasted for hours, maybe a couple days. I had several serious quits that lasted up to seven months and then picked up on a perfectly normal day for no good reason. Having an addictive personality just plain sucks. But if you have it you're stuck with it.
So… you learn to live with it.
If you want to stay smoke free you don't smoke. Simple. 
You don't smoke no matter what.
-          If the kids give you a hard time you don't smoke.
-          If you have a fight with your spouse you don't smoke.
-          If your boss is an asshole you don't smoke.
-          If another driver gives you the finger you don't smoke.
-          If a loved one dies you don't smoke.
We have all been in situations similar to the ones above and they will tend to cause us to say I 'need' a cigarette. Bullshit! We don't need a cigarette. That's junkie talk. We don't smoke - no matter what.
-          And if we get depressed because we can't have just one, so what? It will pass.
-          And if we feel like we're going out of our freaking minds, so what? It will pass.
-          And if we're sitting in a corner crying uncontrollably for reasons we don't know or understand, so what? It will pass.
-          And if we get so mad we want to rip somebody's face off, so what? It will pass.
Folks, I have been sometimes been labeled as 'extreme' for my views, and if that's what people want to think of me that's perfectly fine. My message though is this:
The addiction is ours and no one else’s. Only we have the power to stay smoke-free.  It really doesn't matter WHY we smoked, does it? What matters is that we stop and stay stopped. The only way to do that is by following these words of wisdom from Yoda in StarWars (of all people):
"Do or do not...there is no try.”
Makes sense to me, and remember, NO MATTER WHAT!
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!
(Four months, one week & four days smoke-free)




Time Line of a Quit - The First Year


Fighting our addiction really sucks, doesn’t it? The fact that you quit though, thereby undertaking one of the hardest things known to man/woman, shows that you believe life to be more important than death. Otherwise you’d still be smoking...
Quitting is hell, no doubt about it. Nobody ever said that it would be easy, losing a life long friend and all. It’s ok to go through the grieving process, but you have to look at it for what it truly is. You didn’t really lose a friend; you began a battle with an enemy. The only way you can win is if you refuse to feed your addiction every day for the rest of your life. We are addicts and will always be addicts - we just choose to NOT feed our addiction.
...And it DOES get easier. The time frame is different for all, but there are some fairly general milestones you can pretty much count on.
1.      During the first few days, you have a great resolve and you’re determined to beat your addiction no matter what.
2.      After a week or so, you’re over the physical addiction and you feel great.
3.      About a week or so later reality sets in and many people panic. “OH MY GOD - what will I do for the rest of my life without smokes?” This is the hell part where all you can do is ride it out, preferably with the help of fellow ex-smokers, because non-smokers just don’t understand.
4.      The dreaded three-month mark - classic time for depression to set in. Nobody knows why, but it happens to many of us. Again turn to friends here in the group for support.
5.      The six-month mark - feelings of freedom begin to emerge. You start to feel really good about being smoke-free and truly enjoy being an ex-smoker. Here is where you need to be really careful though and remember that you are still an addict. I myself quit once for seven months and picked up on a perfectly normal day for no apparent reason other than to enjoy just one.
6.      One year - that was a major turning point for me.  Once I reached that mark I could honestly say I had ZERO desire to ever smoke again. Sure I still think about it from time to time, and I have one pet time when I wish I still could.... For me it’s after I finish mowing the lawn.... Go figure!  The point is it is merely a thought now and nowhere near a craving. Nonetheless I still have to tell myself that it is an addict thought. I remain smoke-free because I fight my addiction every day. I never forget that I am an addict, and on a daily basis I choose to not smoke.
You too can do the same, REALLY you can!  It’s hard and it’s hell and maybe it sucks big-time right now for you, but cliche as it may sound...
IT DOES GET BETTER!



My Ideas about Rewards for Quitting

 REWARD # 1
When was the last time you were able to REALLY smell a flower?  As an ex-smoker you'll be able to smell all the wonderful things nature has to offer.

REWARD # 2
Wouldn't it be great to do stuff without getting winded?  As soon as 72 hours after quitting your bronchial tubes relax and you lung capacity increases. Between 2 weeks and 3 months it will increase as much as 30%.

REWARD # 3
Your sex life is bound to improve, because your partner won't feel like kissing involves licking a dirty ashtray - trust me on this one... Back to lung capacity - an orgasm won't feel like it's gonna kill you….

REWARD # 4
One of my personal favorites... You will eventually stop coughing up crap that looks like it came out of an unflushed toilet...  If that's not good enough to be a reward, this gwap can be used as a deterrent as well.  Every time you cough up a nice black wad, spit it into a jar and save it.  If you get the insane idea that you need to reward yourself with a smoke for not smoking a while, take a nice long drink from the jar - might want to keep a scissors handy though… The stuff tends to be a bit gooey…

REWARD # 5
You won't get emphysema.  If you're anything like me, emphysema is just another word for just another disease.  That's what I used to think until I read "Anatomy of a Day with Emphysema" by my friend Bud EllisSee a tribute to Bud on my website: http://Smoking-Cessation.net.  Trust me, life with emphysema sucks big time, and you should do whatever it takes to avoid it.

REWARD # 6
After quitting, you actually LIVE! No I don't mean you'll live longer - that goes without saying.  For one thing you will gain more time each day.  At just one pack (not smoked) per day and five minutes per cigarette, you gain an extra HOUR & 40 MINUTES by not smoking.  You won't be chained to thoughts of smoking; you can concentrate on living!  Family, friends, nature, hobbies... Just about everything will become more pure, real and vivid when it's no longer shadowed by the act of smoking.



Family Support… Or Not

 The arrival of Quit Day is a momentous occasion, not only for the smoker, but for his/her non-smoking circle of friends and family as well.  While the smoker usually awaits this day with a varying degree of anxiety, non-smoking spouses and children lean more toward excitement and happiness.  This change in your life strongly affects them as well.  From this day forth they won’t have to put up with something they loathe.  No more kissing someone who tastes like an ashtray, no more stench in the house or the car, no more burn holes in clothing or upholstery - of course they’re thrilled.  More often than not, they will do whatever they can to support your quit.
The first days and weeks are filled with concern as well as joy for you, the ex-smoker.  The passage of time not smoking is tracked in days, sometimes even hours or minutes; one day, one week, two weeks, etc. are often celebrated as if you had won the Nobel prize.  Your non-smoking family becomes your cheerleading squad that fills you with pride for your accomplishment and propels you to make it just one more day…  They will usually understand that you get crabby and angry and they generally put up with a lot of crap as you go through withdrawal.  It is very important to have your family’s support early on, and the more involved they are, the better your chances are for success.
At some point after the one-month anniversary has been celebrated, you will most likely see a change in family support.  Their enthusiasm for your quit can fizzle to the point where you may tend to wonder if they even care any more.  When I stopped smoking, that change started in the third month of my quit and came to a head when nobody remembered my three-month anniversary.  I couldn’t believe that the people who only weeks before celebrated me as their hero would forget to honor me for this big milestone.  Talk about a roller-coaster ride of feelings… Anger, despair, loneliness, doubt and more all came to surface during that time.
There I was, in the throes of fighting my addiction and to my family it was already over and done with, a closed book, and a seemingly forgotten memory of the past.  Fortunately, I turned to several online support groups and quickly found that other ex-smokers were experiencing a similar loss of enthusiasm by family members.  By comparing notes, we were able to determine that the most distinct loss of interest is found in families where the spouse of the addict is a non-smoker.  This apparent phenomenon led to a search for an explanation, because a behavioral pattern that transcends race, religion and socioeconomic backgrounds and affects a quit so strongly needed to be understood, so that newer ex-smokers joining the group could effectively cope with its arrival.
            I came to the conclusion that we cannot and actually must not expect our non-smoker relatives to be continually supportive.  Seeing as though they do not have the addictive personality that we have, there is just no way they can possibly understand what we are experiencing.  To them, the addiction is over once we physically stop smoking.  They do not and cannot comprehend the battle that we fight every day to control the addiction and keep from picking up.  They just don’t know.  Once we, as addicts, understand that the ebbing of their enthusiasm after one or two months is brought on by an inability to understand rather than a lack of interest, the importance of support given by fellow ex-smokers becomes all the more apparent.
            Only the addict can fully appreciate, understand and help another addict. We know what it means to go through the lunacy of physical withdrawal.  We know what it means to crave, to need that cigarette at 2:00 in the morning.  We know what it means to desperately want just one.  We know what it means to still be fighting after months of not smoking.  We know - they don’t - plain and simple.  Whether you join a Nicotine Anonymous group in your local area or an online support group, the best support you can possibly find will always come from a fellow ex-smoker.


********


I will never be a non-smoker.
I will always be an ex-smoker.
I am a puff away from a pack a day.

If I decide to smoke again,
It will be my choice, but this quit is for me.
This is my year, and I am worth it.

Karen - January 1997