Thursday, January 15, 2015

Chapter 7 - Depression – Change is Hard

Routine and structure is something most of us thrive on.  Almost everything we do, from something as simple as having breakfast to managing a multimillion-dollar business deal, revolves around a schedule.  The human psyche takes comfort in knowing what comes next.  Much of what we do is based on repetitive activity.  It only makes sense to establish routines that get played out over and over.  This repetitiveness creates a comfort zone because our actions become so habitual that we don’t have to think much about them while doing them.  Something as complex as driving a car becomes second nature.  The task of operating a motor vehicle, even through rush hour traffic, is accomplished without much conscious thought. 
We all have our own set of routines and as we grow older, we become set in our ways so to speak. We like it when things run smoothly, without complication or deviation from our normal routine.  A surprise can be fun from time to time, but for the most part we do not appreciate changes infiltrating our structured lives.  Change of any type results in the disruption of our comfort zone.  This in turn causes us to react.  In the heat of the moment, the reaction may be anger or a sense of frustration.  Given time to think about the given change, our reaction will usually evolve into something deeper.
So it is with the fight against our addiction.  As smokers, we developed a very structured schedule of lighting up 20, 30, 40 or more times per day.  We could time it almost to the minute when we would be lighting that next one.  The total elimination of that structure or routine causes a major change, a gigantic blow to our comfort zone.  I’m not referring so much to the chemical dependency here, but more to the physical activity of lighting up and smoking a cigarette.  That activity was a big part of our lives, taking up several hours of our time each and every day.  Smoking was an integral part of us, and now it’s gone…poof…just like that. Change?  You bet!  Disruption?  Definitely!
            Depression can be very closely linked to change.  Even the word itself describes change.  Think of a smooth surface that has a dent or a depression in it.  That dent is a disruption in the smooth contour of the surface.  The ex-smoker will commonly experience some depression, usually around the three-month mark.  As with most emotional issues, the severity of the depression will be different for each individual, but what we all experience is a sense of loss.  I equate this period to the grief we experience when losing a loved one.  After all, it was the cigarette that was with us though thick and thin, through joy and sadness.  Our friend, the cigarette, was always there to comfort us when we were in need, always there to help us celebrate, always there…period.  Many of us spent more time with this friend than we did with our own families.  It is only natural that we mourn his passing…
            During these highly emotional times the support from other ex-smokers can be most helpful.  It is the realization that we are sad and depressed because we are actually mourning our own killer that can help us overcome this overwhelming change in our lives.  Who better to guide us through this period than someone who has lived or is living the exact same change?




Just need a little help...
Posted by Jay~ on January 24 at 00:35:24
I am not too sure if this is normal for someone who is trying to quit, but lately I feel very depressed. I am not talking about sadness or anything small like that - this is like grand scale depression.  I feel like I am dying inside.  I want to lock myself up in a room and not have to worry about the outside world.  It feels like there is nothing to look forward to. I need help to know if this is normal. I have had problems with depression before but I have noticed that every time I try to quit it gets a lot worse. Is there anybody who can give me some good advice on what to do?
I would appreciate it!
Thank you....

Posted by Michael on January 24 at 06:15:15
In reply to: Just need a little help... Posted by Jay~ on January 24 at 00:35:24
Good morning Jay,
Quitting smoking and the number three... I wish someone would do a research study to find out what the actual connection is.  I checked back through the Board and figured out that you're at three weeks and two days.  I can't tell you why your depression has set in Jason, but what I can tell you is that you are not alone with this experience - not by far!  Three days, three weeks, three months - they all seem to be pivotal points in a quit.  If you remember from my ramblings, I too found this Board (at my three-month mark) searching for info on why I was experiencing the deep depression I was in.  Let me share what I've learned since then in psychotherapy as well as from folks on the Board.
Think first of the word "depression" by itself. What does it mean? Well, picture a perfectly smooth surface, like the hood of a classic automobile - a picture of perfection.  Now imagine that same surface after someone hits it with a hammer - it now has a dent in it, a depression of sorts.  The entire look of that hood has been changed.  It is no longer smooth and perfect, and in the eyes of the beholder of classic cars... useless. That blow with the hammer changed the future of that classic car. Of course it can be fixed, but it will take a lot of time and energy to get back to the smoothness before the dent/depression.
Mental depression is about change, Jay, and we all know how well humans deal with change, right?  As an ex-smoker you have made some drastic changes in your life.  Actually it goes beyond that.  What you’ve really done is sworn off the life you once knew in order to start a new life as a person who does not have cigarettes included in just about every daily activity.  That’s a pretty major change, huh? 
Change brings out all kinds of emotions.  Feelings of fear, sadness, anger, hatred and helplessness are not uncommon in the ex-smoker, which is understandable when you think of all the changes we’ve made in our lives pretty much from one day to the next.  Every activity that we used to do with a cigarette in our mouth or hand has now changed, and the new version scares our fragile mind.  Don’t let it scare you, Jason.  This change may be severe, but it’s so good for us that we should be jumping for joy. 
Explore what you’re feeling right now.  Analyze it to find out exactly where it’s coming from.  I’m sure you’ll find the basis for your depression in the loss of cigarette smoking.  Once you see that, the defense of self pity we so easily turn to will become invalid and you’ll be able to focus on the freedom that comes with the smooth surface.
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********

I am so sorry, but I am at the bottom of the barrel today...
Posted by Joyce on January 28 at 17:42:41
Hello Friends,
I am really gloomy today - was dancing last night and am absolutely feeling like the pits today. My stats don't even cheer me or inspire me. Four weeks tomorrow - and I just want to cry my eyes out. I thought other times during the last few weeks were bad, but this day has been my absolute worst.
I told someone today at work about it and he asked me, “Aren't you over it yet?” I looked at him like he had two heads.  He said, “I mean the nicotine cravings” I told him the nicotine had been out of my body for weeks. I told him it is the habit that is making it so hard right now. I also told him that if I could be over withdrawal from smoking in 28 days, after smoking for 25 years, I would have quit a lot sooner than this. Of course he is a smoker and has been smoking probably longer than me.  He was supposed to quit on the 31st.  Has he?  NO! Wanted to tell him he could just blow it out his you-know-what, but then I would feel guilty again for losing it.
This knot in my gut is tearing me up… I'm sorry but right at the moment this quit is extremely shaky. Sorry to ramble on and be so gloomy but it is how I'm feeling. I'm crying too hard to even type anymore... Thanks for listening.
Bye for now…
Joyce

Joyce!
Posted by Heather on January 28 at 18:00:27
In reply to: I am so sorry, but I am at the bottom of the barrel today... Posted by Joyce on January 28 at 17:42:41
Have a hug girlfriend. You have seen how this quitting thing goes, haven't you. One day we are total confidence, next we are in the pit and convinced we'll never make it… Then we get two or three more days of good times. However, this does not go on indefinitely there is an end or people would never stay quit. Now seriously Joyce, old Nicodemon is whispering that a cig would solve your problem and we both know that’s crap. A sickarette would probably rip your lungs out at this point and it would be totally disappointing and then you'd be left feeling stupid for taking it and blowing your quit when you're doing so fantastic.
Let’s recall some facts... Sickarettes have all kinds of dangerous chemicals in them... Sickarettes make cancer... Consider the nicotine stains on your fingernails and how hard it is to get them off… Now imagine that on your lungs - when you smoke... Doctors just say you’re a smoker - they don't even have to ask, because you stink from six feet away… How about the yellow walls and ceilings?  Nice!  Dirty ashtrays, people’s disapproving stares, standing out in the cold freezing your butt off only to get stared at and closer to cancer. And if none of this has gotten through... Remember.... The Fat Guys will get the last laugh and you will just stink and have to go through all that yack again!
I know it’s hard... It’s the pits, so you whine, cry, stomp your feet, go streaking even! I don't care, but keep your quit... You’re doing great... And you’re tough and you can do this.
Hugs, Heather


Peace, happiness with yourself and being smoke-free will justify your suffering
Posted by Rob on January 28 at 18:24:39
In reply to: I am so sorry, but I am at the bottom of the barrel today... Posted by Joyce on January 28 at 17:42:41
Nicotine is a stimulant - you've taken that away from your body.  It doesn't like that much, but it explains why we get so moody.  You're going to have BAD, BAD DAYS, but they become less frequent and easier to deal with.  It was around six weeks that I wasn't LIVING TO QUIT any more.  I got some of my life back and I was able to think about other things.  Give it time and you'll be glad you did. 
SMOKING IS NOT AN OPTION... So beat the walls, kick a dog (not really)... Do whatever it takes to get over it.  SMOKING will only depress you more... FAILING is not an OPTION.  I smoked for 33 years and didn't really want to quit. I loved my smokes.  I was just getting too old to smoke any more.  I love life and I want as much as I can get. 
HANG ON!  YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID!
Sincerely, Rob
Nine months, one day, 22 hours, 51 minutes and 20 seconds.
9693 cigarettes not smoked, saving $969.48.
Life saved: 4 weeks, 5 days, 15 hours, 45 minutes.


********



I have a question, Michael
Posted by Lea on December 15 at 08:27:21
Hi Michael,
I have a question for you.  You mentioned that you got really depressed when you got to being quit three months.  I’m coming up on my three-month mark and was wondering if I should be expecting the same thing…. Thanks for any input you might have.


Posted by Michael on December 15 at 10:12:48
In reply to: I have a question, Michael Posted by Lea on December 15 at 08:27:21
Hi again Lea,
The depression that hit me at the three month mark is pretty common among ex-smokers.  Nobody has been able to explain why three months is significant, but I've seen it happen to enough people that it must have significance.  When it hit me personally, I had no idea why it was happening... The anger, the unsolicited crying, the continued doubts etc.  In desperation I decided to see if I could find help online.  Like so many others, I found this Board, and quickly I learned that I was not going crazy, but that this was part of becoming an ex-smoker.
I've since talked to lots of people, including my therapist, about it, and best we can come up with is that the grieving process over losing the action of smoking comes to a head somewhere around that time.  Of course it's different for everyone, some it may hit at two months, some at four months.  But by and large every ex-smoker goes through one or more depressions.  It's pretty understandable if you think about it.  For decades we were used to doing just about everything with a smoke.  Now we have to learn a completely new way of doing things because smokes are no longer part of our lives.  That's major, major change right there, and since the human psyche naturally doesn't like the discomfort of change, well...you know...  :-) 
So be on the lookout for those grieving/depression times.... Knowing what they are ahead of time can often minimize them.
Peace!
Michael
Fight the good fight!

********


Good Morning from the left coast! *S*
Posted by Bonnie on February 07 at 13:52:49
Good morning everyone! *Smile*  All lined up with bright non-smoking faces… *Smile* Five weeks and one whole day here... and an hour and 31 minutes too…LOL... Lots not smoked… *Smile*  Getting rich… *Smile* Just feeling really happy this morning! How is everyone else today?


Hanging in…
Posted by Joyce on February 07 at 14:24:03
In reply to: Good Morning from the left coast! *S* Posted by Bonnie on February 07 at 14:04:30
I'm hanging in there Bonnie - just my habit telling me a lot of things like this may not be the time to quit - too many family problems, some of my own health problems. I seem to be isolating myself from the world and can't stop doing it.  I miss smoking a lot and hate myself when I think like that, but after 25 years of leaning on 'them' at all times and during every emotion… I feel defeated a lot… Again I hate myself for thinking that way... I think Michael posted one time that one day the quit wasn't foremost on his mind any more... I just want that day to be here now...  I actually broke down crying this morning while I was washing my huge kitchen floor.  I always smoked on my breaks from cleaning, which I took a lot of, and I started daydreaming I was at the infamous 'corner store' (didn't care that I had no makeup on or my hair wasn't washed).  I ran hysterically upstairs, gave my sweetie a dirty look, slammed the bedroom door, and lay on my bed (Walkman on trying to tell Nicodemon where to get off) sobbing... How stupid... This makes me so mad... Anyway, there are my guts...
I want so bad to forget about these things... I feel bad when I get this weak in front of the newbies... It actually helps to read their posts because I still feel like they do... I’m feeling really weak today and have been for a few days, but lets face it… It’s three hours later and I haven't gone to the corner store… Fiancé finished up the floor - what a sweetheart… I have seriously begun to think of hiring a house cleaner once a month - using cigarette money… I even rationalized that if I stay quit I could get me a house cleaner permanently… Anyway, there I rambled on… That's it… And again it is… UGGGGGGHHHHH! Oh, and it seems that no one else on the Board seems this weak this long into their quit....
Thanks for listening... Hope you're not sorry you asked...
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}
Joyce

Posted by Lisa W. on February 07 at 23:16:55
In reply to: Hanging in… Posted by Joyce on February 07 at 14:24:03
Okay, Joyce, here's my take on it.  I quit around the same time as you and I think we share some of the same feelings.  I don't gripe much on this Board, because I don't feel like griping here - it's safe. I'm away from all stresses/expectations, and I really like the people here - they make me feel great!  But don't get me wrong, I miss smoking, and because it's still early in my quit, I can honestly say I was smarter, more fun, more energetic, more confident, and more together as a smoker than I am right now. My friends and family will second that, and that's not fair, because we've gone through hell being strong.  We were used to smoking our anger and sadness and stress and insecurities and fears away… Yet, in the past five weeks, we've had to deal with all of those emotions all by ourselves.  Plus, they've been extra intense because they've been pushed way down for years and years and years!
So we deserve to be superstars by now - svelte from all our newfound energy spent exercising.  Yeah right!  At the rate I'm eating, I'd have to be doing marathons every day to be svelte.  We should get promoted for all the brilliant ideas we've presented at work (not likely being a Zyban girl in withdrawal); we deserve to be the center of every social event, due to our newfound sense of confidence and 'sassiness' - (more like chanting mantras nervously in the corner as I eye all the smokers and try to make myself believe they look gross, worrying that one more drink might send me straight to the Nicodemon himself). So - eek - in a way, we feel like we're failures, right? I mean nothing magically good has occurred - and WE'VE PAID OUR DUES.
I am noticing improvements in my mood as time goes on, and strength in my ability to create a new life for myself as I allow more activities and people in. But, it's a lot slower than my immediate gratification temperament would like, or what the fairytale mentality would lead me to believe - Heroine suffers for short period of time and result is perfect life forever after. I've been careful about jumping back into my ‘old lifestyle' because a lot of pressure went along with that, e.g. always being available to listen to friends' problems.  I need all my strength for my own quit right now. My phone has been turned off since I quit.  I don't feel people should be subjected to some of the personalities I've unleashed during this quit - hee hee, and I want the control of deciding who I want to call back, and when I want to return their calls.  Some people are still waiting - they fall into the trigger category, and I need more time.  Some guilt goes along with that promise to myself, but it’s worth it.
I'm lucky because I only have to share my living space with two cats - (I mean, when Mel is on set somewhere, of course) so I have all the freedom in the world to mope or be bitchy… Actually, I've earned a whole new respect from the cats - hee hee. Plus, my closest co-worker quit too, so we have each other during the day.  Joyce, we are not going to smoke again, so we need to slowly but surely break out of our little protective caves and let parts of our old life back in, and we need to develop new outlooks that smoking never allowed us.  I've found that although it's scary when I actually get out there and LIVE, I've been pleasantly surprised how good it's made me feel. Be kind to yourself.  This is not a race.  Your sadness/stress/longing for cigarettes will pass and you'll find that a great smoke-free life is waiting for you.  Believe it or not, you have the power to grab your real life back and make it even better.
Until then, do whatever it takes to build your strength and remain smoke-free, even if it doesn't result in a perfectly clean home and a perfectly content man.  This isn't a fairy tale we're living - it's accepting and dealing with addiction - and there's nothing perfect or beautiful about that.  It's hard work. The rewards WILL COME though, so please keep fighting because you deserve them.
Hope my rambling helped. 
Luv Lisa

********

The world, or our world, may always have smokers in it;
And we may always have one inside of us,
But we value, and choose because we do,
Freedom and the rewards that come with it.

                                                                        Wayne – February 1999